thadkew

After SCCM 2012 R2 upgrade, black screen of death

Recently updated to R2 and sporadically we have machines going through OSD that will restart after applying the operating system step (normal) and run through the windows setup, appluying drivers and such (also normal).

What's not normal is that occassionaly, machines will restart and just go to a black screen with a white arrow. The dreaded "Black Screen of Death."

I've ensured that all drivers are up to date and we're using a query for which device drivers to install.

This happens on multiple models, so it's not just one particular model.

Task sequence is for Windows 7 x64

The error log shows the lines "Failed to load envrionment from c:|_SMSTaskSequence\TSEnv.dat (80040154) "

and

"Failed to load the task sequencing Environment object from C:\_SMSTaskSequence\TSEnv.dat Code(0x80040154)"

Any ideas how to combat this? Teh Googles are not kind to my searches. :(

Hi thadkew,

i has the same Problem and search about 3 weeks ... and used MS-Support du find a solution...

in the end i found the bug myself or i found a solution that workes 4 me.

I used the 32bit boot image because of historic reasons ;D

if i use the 64bit boot image the problems gone.

because i doesn't need 32bit install support any more its ok for me.

i hope that this help you.

greats doc

• Like 1

I created a new x64 boot image and it appears to have resolved my issue. Even the one machine that has been causing me all kind of problems has now been tamed...

Fingers crossed that the boot image is the fix.

BIG THANKS to you drfuture! :)

We had not seen this issue until I rebuilt and captured our Win 7 x64 and x86 wim files a few months ago with SCCM 2012 R2 and started seeing this exact problem.

The previous version of our wims were built originally with SCCM 2007 and imported into 2012 R2 and we always used a 32bit boot image for the Task Sequence. I guess we never saw this issue with a 2007 built wim in 2012 R2 due to the client baked into the wim was 32 bit.

Last week I found this forum, changed the boot image to 64 bit, have imaged around 30 machines (various makes and models) since then and haven't seen this issue since! AWESOME! THANK YOU SO MUCH!