dozi

Latest Adobe Update Reader/Acrobat - Strange behavior

Hello,

in ran into an strange behavior with updating Adobe Acrobat Pro/Reader to version 11.0.09. The detection method is set to MSI with version equal to "11.0.09". The version installed on the targeted client is "11.0.08". The application logs tell me, that the patch is already installed and skips the installation of the patch. Registry and WMI show version "11.0.08" instead. I have no idea whats going wrong here. Attached you will find some screenshots of the problem.

Kindly regards,

dozi

post-25384-0-20726700-1411130378_thumb.jpg

post-25384-0-36881500-1411130379_thumb.jpg

post-25384-0-54963200-1411130380_thumb.jpg

post-25384-0-09217300-1411130381_thumb.jpg

Disclaimer - I'm not sure where CM is looking to find the version of the MSI to compare against, so my methodology might be flawed, here.

...but it seems like either:

1. it's not the checking "DisplayVersion" registry value in the uninstall branch, nor the "ProductVersion" value in the MSI file's Properties table

or

2. The MSI file it's checking has the wrong or missing ProductVersion

I'm wondering if it just can't find whatever it's looking for, as far as MSI version, and just evaluating true based on finding the product code alone, since all 11.x versions so far have matching product codes.

What we've been doing is, in additon to the product code rule, using a second rule with an AND connector that checks the version of %programfiles%\adobe\reader 11.0\reader\acrord32.exe to make sure that the file version is high enough.

Assuming CM is using the Windows Installer records, I suppose you might be able to eliminate possibility 2 by:

1. Looking on an affected system under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData for "adobe reader" without the quotes

2. You'll probably come back with a bunch of results, but one of them should have a whole bunch of values, one of which will be LocalPackage

2a. On my test system, I found it in under S-1-5-18\Products\68AB67CA7DA73301B744BA0000000010\InstallProperties since it was installed by CM.

3. Copy the msi file specified in the LocalPackage value to a temp folder somewhere (may not be strictly needed, but I'm reluctant to ever mess with the live ones)

4. Open that copy of the msi with Orca or some other msi editor

5. In the Properties table, what does it have for the ProductVersion value?

Alternately, you could try using a 3rd-party product for Adobe/Apple/FireFox/Chrome updates. I've been using Shavlik Patch with SCCM 2012, to keep my systems patched, and it's been working very well. They provide the patches, along with all of the detection/evaluation methods, so that you don't have to fiddle around with this stuff.

Might be worth looking into:

http://www.shavlik.com/products/patch/