sentinel0

SUP force clients to download from Windows Updates

Thank you for the explanation and information! If I had one AD site that had a local distribution point that I wanted clients at that site to pull from locally I would distribute update package content only to that distribution point correct? The site boundaries basically dictate that a one specific site has local access to distribution content and all other AD sites are part of an slow link boundary group with a different distribution point. If I'm understanding this correctly as long as the slow link boundary groups associated distribution point doesn't get the deployment package those clients will pull from Windows Updates and the clients of the local site will pull from the distribution point assigned to the site boundary group accordingly. Am I correct in my assumption? Thanks again for the help!

Slow network boundary still makes a distribution point the prefered one for a client, so that won't help you. I would say, make sure the content is not available on a prefered distribution point and that there is no fallback location available.

For more information see: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/b2516212-e524-4031-9a1f-7b768084304d#BKMK_PreferredDistributionPoint and http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682083.aspx#BKMK_PreferredDistributionPoint