gpayne2014

User profile service failed after deployment... HELP! :(

Question

Good day guys, would like to say thank you for all the genius guides and fixes this forum has provided me in the past and the incredibly detailed and helpful SCCM 2012 guide I have been following lately... however!

I am an IT technician at a high school which currently has over 1000 kids and 300 staff, as you may guess that gives us a high inventory of workstations, around 900.

One of my tasks my network manager has given me is to master SCCM 2012, which having no knowledge about prior seem to get by just fine but I am at my wits end with this problem I seem to be experiencing so anyways...

Currently using SCCM 2012 R2 with all the latest updates running on Server 2008 R2

1 Primary site, no CAS

683 active workstations domained

Deploying Windows 7 Professional SP1 with all the latest updates, antivirus, all software etc etc.

At the moment I am not using the Build & Capture task sequence, I prefer to build the image manually first then capture the image using the configuration manager capture tool which we keep on a CD that tells me that I must undomain the image before it can be captured (not a problem)

When I first installed windows 7 I booted it into AUDIT MODE during its first time initialization so we can move the user profile and appdata onto a separate partition on the same drive so C: would be the system partition and D: would solely be for user profiles as we use roaming profiles.

My problem is once I have distributed the image onto SCCM and deploy the task sequence onto the test machine, for one it doesnt join the domain at all despite inputting the correct credentials (which is another problem) which puts the OS with local admin logon only, now when we input the local admin credentials its kicks us out saying the "User profile service failed the logon, user profile cannot be loaded".

I have no idea why this happens as after the capturing is complete on the test computer we can log back on locally without a problem but when deployed to other test workstations it kicks us out, please help!

P.S. ignore the red X's in the task sequence I removed the image after this error started happening.

The user profile service hotfix was just a command line I found on another forum not sure if it even works or not!

Please advise what I am doing wrong, got a deadline to meet :(

post-26044-0-02588100-1411552784_thumb.png

post-26044-0-49736200-1411553692_thumb.png

post-26044-0-75037000-1411553899_thumb.png

3 answers to this question

would like to say thank you for all the genius guides and fixes this forum has provided me in the past and the incredibly detailed and helpful SCCM 2012 guide I have been following lately.

thanks !

I'd recommend you build the images in Virtual hardware and avoid 2 partitions, it will only cause you problems sooner or later, keep everything on the one partition as bitlocker, and UEFI will make you glad you did so later...

anyhow, if you captured the image with two partitions it probably has index(s) of those images, one being the os, the other the 'data' drive,

use the apply data image step to apply the D: drive,

for network join, make sure you've got an apply driver package step containing network drivers for the hardware you are installing this image on to and verify if theres network connectivity after the restart after applying the os, if not, you need network drivers....

good luck

Thanks for the response bud!

i thought the driver issue wouldnt of been a problem as the image I capture already has those drivers, please forgive my naivety the SCCM world is very new to me.

The reason I haven't created in VH is we have 4 different types of machines here and thought it would be easier to create an image for each type of workstation for example

Student viglen omnino 3 (worse piece of hardware ever made) - image mainly for student workstations with specific apps

Staff viglen omnino 3 - image for staff computers only which has teacher specific apps aswell as classroom monitoring tools

Staff RM one - same as above

Student HP compaq 8000 - same as student viglen

Not sure what you mean when you say "use the apply data image step to apply the D: drive,"

Do these steps seem ok to you?

Sorry for being dumb, this is all new for me before I started my job here someone else already set up SCCM which was very different from your guide so I had to chop and choose alot of the parts from your guide

post-26044-0-02717100-1411565354_thumb.png

post-26044-0-79702500-1411565354_thumb.png

post-26044-0-28092400-1411565355_thumb.png

post-26044-0-76705600-1411565355_thumb.png

it is way easier to create ONE image on Virtual Hardware (keep it driver free) and then deploy that captured image to different hardware types using custom apply driver package steps based on hardware model detected, you can see how to do that in this post.