DSanchez21

Driver Error on MDT 2012 Update 1

Question

I have an HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF computer that I need to put our image on. When I try to run the deployment wizard to install a new operation system I get the following wizard error message: A connection to the deployment share (\\servername\Deployment$) could not be made. The following networking device did not have a driver installed. PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_153A&SUBSYS_1998103C&REV_04. In my deployment workbench I created a folder under out-of-box-drivers\Windows7\x64\HP EliteDesk 800 G SFF and in the folder I imported the drivers. I've contacted HP to make sure I downloaded the correct driver and I also downloaded the driver off of in Intel site and still the same error message. If you need any additional information please feel free to ask. Thanks in advance for your help.

4 answers to this question

Hi!

You ned to add the nic driver to the winpe image aswell. Then update the deployment share and use the new iso or new wim in your wds.

I'm guessing you follow arwidmarks driver guidelines as you have a nice driver structure, so you probably also have a Winpex86 and/or winpex64 section where you can add the new nic driver before you update the deployment share.

• Like 1

Hi Tommy,

Thanks for the reply and I do apologize for the next question how do I add the nic driver to the WinPe image. I am new to all of this I just recently took this over from another employee and not that many install notes were provided to me. A side note if you know of any websites that provide step by step instructions on MDT 2012 update 1 would be great.

Hi again!

Are really nice guide about how to manage drivers in MDT is Johan Arwidmarks guide, this one is for MDT 2013 but the procedure is the same.

http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Research/tabid/62/EntryId/112/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management.aspx

Read the whole guide but focus on the Drivers for Windows PE (the boot image) part.

You're windows pe version should be 4.0 which means drivers for windows 8 are needed to be added to it. Don't confuse it with the driver needed for the OS (Windows 7) you are deploying.

Although the Windows 7 drivers for the OS will probably work in WinPE 4.0 as well, but not before being imported :)

Hopefully you're MDT was setup using this guide or similar. Otherwise its a good idea to start following it.

A basic step by step can be found here: Deploying Windows 8.1 from a USB Stick.

Note that the version of WinPE does not have to correspond with the version being installed. For example if you are using the Windows ADK for Windows 8.1 to provide the tools that MDT controls, you would have WinPE 5.0. Though you are deploying Windows 7, WinPE 5.0 is built on the code base of Windows 8.1 and thus would need drivers compatible with Windows 8.1.

Once you have supplied the drivers for WinPE, as Tommy Herman stated, you would need to update the deployment share to regenerate the boot media with these drivers included.

Brandon
Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
The Springboard Series on TechNet