anyweb

How can I deploy Windows 10 Enterprise using System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager ?

Update: Since Windows 10 was released in July, I've produced a new guide which replaces this one, you can read it here.

windows 10 join us.png

Note: This post was done using a technical preview version of Windows 10 and due to that fact, Configuration Manager 2012 R2 does not currently support this (or any) version of Windows 10. As a result, this is not supported by Microsoft. I'm only doing this because I want to see if it's possible to deploy Windows 10 with the current release of Configuration Manager, which at the time of writing (Oct 1st, 2014) is 2012 R2 CU3.

Please also read the Support statement from Microsoft about Windows 10 here of which I'm copying the relevant bits below:

• The next version of System Center Configuration Manager will deliver full support for client deployment, upgrade, and management of Windows 10 and associated updates.
  • System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager or SP1 - we will provide an update to support Windows 10 deployment, upgrade and management with existing ConfigMgr features.
  • System Center Configuration Manager 2007 (SP2, R2, and R3) – we will provide an update to support the management only of Windows 10
  • Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) will be updated with support for Windows 10.

Step 1. Download the ISO and Extract the contents

Download Windows 10 Technical Preview Enterprise edition from here, I used the X64 Enterprise ISO (9841.0.140912-1613.FBL_RELEASE_CLIENTENTERPRISE_VOL_X64FRE_EN-US.ISO) for my Guide.

I then Mounted that ISO in my Configuration Manager 2012 R2 Hyperv virtual Machine and extracted the contents to \\server\sources\os\os_media\Windows10x64

windows 10 extracted.png

you might also want to download the technical preview guide from here.

Step 2. Add the Operating System Installer Image and Distribute Content

In the Configmgr Console, expand Software Library, Operating Systems, Operating System Installers, right click and choose Add Operating System Installer

add operating system installer.png

browse to the path where we extracted it in Step 1

os installer.png

fill in some details about the image

details of image.png

and click next through to the summary

add operating system installer done.png

Step 3. Distribute the image to your distribution points

Once added, distribute the content to your DP's by right clicking the image and choose Distribute Content.

distribute content wizard.png

and continue through the wizard

specify content destination.png

and continue through to completion

distribute done.png

Step 4. Create the Build and Capture Task Sequence

In task sequences, right click and choose Create Task Sequence

Create Task Sequence.png

Choose the Build and Capture a reference operating system image option

build and capture.png

fill in the details and choose a X64 boot image

deploy windows 10 enterprise.png

Next, edit the Install Windows step, select any OS other than Windows 10 (which won't show up anyway, we'll add it later), in this screenshot I selected Windows 8.1 Enterprise.

Note: We will edit this step later.

for network select to join your domain and enter the credentials required

configure network.png

select your Configmgr Client in the next step then next your way through on to the Capture image step (if you get any capture wim filename error, ignore it), fill in your capture details, click next through to summary

bac summary.png

Now right click the task sequence and choose Edit, Disable the Entire Capture Group (for now) and also disable the apply device drivers step as shown below

Note: if you are deploying to real hardware, you should be using Apply Driver Package steps however check this post from Johan on the subject.

disable capture.png

And edit the Apply Operating System Image step, so that it points to our Windows 10 installer instead of a previously captured Windows 8.1 image as shown below

edit apply operating image step.png

Edit the Apply Windows Settings step, for Product key, use the key contained in the media's sources folder, in a file called PID.TXT file, otherwise the Setup Windows and Configmgr step will fail (error 31) later on in the process.

Step 5. Deploy the Task Sequence

Right click on the task sequence and choose Deploy,

deploy.png

point it to the All Unknown Computers Collection, choose an Available (optional) purpose, and continue through the wizard until completion.

deploy wizard done.png

Step 6. PXE boot a new virtual machine and start the process

PXE boot your Virtual Machine (create a new one in hyperV), Press F12 for Network boot then you'll see the now familiar and very nice Configuration Manager 2012 splash screen

pxe boot.png

select your Deploy Windows 10 Enterprise Task sequence and press enter, it starts applying the OS

select the task sequence.png

I'm monitoring the installation using cmtrace...

cmtrace.png

once the operating system image files are copied down, the Operating System installation starts..and the os installation begins

windows setup is starting.png

finishing up.png

followed by a reboot

reboot.png

and after the first reboot we get our first look at Windows 10 Technical Preview setting itself up, it looks a lot like Windows 8.1 :-)

looks like windows 81.png

and then Setup Windows and ConfigMgr does it's work..

setup windows and configmgr.png

and we are done ! or are we ;)

done.png

yes, we are done !

windows 10 in all its glory.png

windows 10 showing the windowsnoob post.png

Summary

It just goes to show, that with a little effort, you can deploy Windows 10 Enterprise edition using System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager. Awesome.

• Like 2

Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum and am looking forward in participating.

I signed up today as I wish to know if anyone knows when

SCCM 2012 R2 Endpoint protection will be available to Windows 10? I have installed Windows 10 via sccm 2012 R2 and all is well. The client has been installed, and I can easily push out software to the windows 10 machines.

The only thing I cant do (automatically or manually) is to install FEP 2010. Any ideas anyone?

The other issue I had, before I gave up was trying to capture an image from a freshly built Windows 10 laptop. The laptop constantly failed at the SYSPREP stage.

Are these errors due to SCCM 2012 R2 not yet being compatible with Windows 10?

Thanks for your help guys.

as Windows 10 is not finished yet, there is no SCEP version for it yet, it does however have Windows Defender included. I would expect to see support for Windows 10 being improved once SP2 for SCCM 2012 R2 ships. As regards sysprep it works for me, have you seen this

actually, you are in luck (if using Intune standalone), see here

Ability to manage Windows Defender on Windows 10 PCs running Windows 10 Technical Preview without need for separate Microsoft Intune Endpoint Protection agent to be installed

via > http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoftintune/archive/2015/04/17/new-intune-features-coming-over-the-next-week-for-android-and-more.aspx

smsts-20150521-115237.log

I built a Windows 10 Image, went to capture it using Sys Prep, but it failed i don't now why

It;s exactly the same way i did all the windows 7 & 8.1 builds

The SMSTS log display a tonne of errors :(

Sys Prep did not complete successfully Error 80004005

Exiting error code 16389

SMSTS Log attached

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

The new driver with windows 10 version(see driver inf section heading below) is not compatible with SCCM 2012 SP2 and so all these windows 10 drivers are failing to imported to sccm driver catalog. See the DriverCatalog.log.

SCCM Version: SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 (5.0.8239.1000)

ADK Version : ADK for Windows 10 (10.0.10114)

OS version: Windows Server 2012 (6.2.9200)

Driver INF Section

[Manufacturer]
%Intel% = Intel, NTamd64.10.0, NTamd64.10.0.1
DriverCatalog.log
<![LOG[CreateFromINF("\\W12SCCM12R2.jigsaw.com\shared\Achint\Windows10-x64", "E1C65x64.inf")]LOG]!><time="13:03:07.897-330" date="05-26-2015" component="DriverCatalog" context="" type="1" thread="1328" file="osddrivercatalog.cpp:919">
<![LOG[initializing driver digest from '\\W12SCCM12R2.jigsaw.com\shared\Achint\Windows10-x64\E1C65x64.inf']LOG]!><time="13:03:10.462-330" date="05-26-2015" component="DriverCatalog" context="" type="1" thread="1328" file="osddriverdigest.cpp:2835">
<![LOG[\\W12SCCM12R2.jigsaw.com\shared\Achint\Windows10-x64\E1C65x64.inf is not applicable to any supported platforms.]LOG]!><time="13:03:11.210-330" date="05-26-2015" component="DriverCatalog" context="" type="3" thread="1328" file="osddriverdigest.cpp:3039">
<![LOG[Driver is not applicable to any supported platforms. Code 0x80070661]LOG]!><time="13:03:11.210-330" date="05-26-2015" component="DriverCatalog" context="" type="3" thread="1328" file="osddrivercatalog.cpp:844">

post-29749-0-73565100-1432725005_thumb.jpg