thoffman

MSI will not install as Local System, Please HELP!!!!

Hello,

So i've verified that running with PSExec.exe -i -s -d cmd.exe and kicking off my vbscript that my .msi will not install as local system. (the application installs, but has some errors after the install). I've attached to log files for the .msi, but this is a vendor packaged .msi so not sure what I could do about this.

Is there any way at all to run this as a domain account that I specify instead? I would like to avoid using a task sequence if at all possible. I would prefer either an application or package. I would love to find a .vbs script that runs another script as a specified account calling the script from the current dirrectory. I found one, but could not successfully get it to call another script, much less run it as a domain account.

Its hard to believe that SCCM 2012 doesn't have a built in option to run an application or package as a specified user.

It just seems like I have much more success running packages or applications versues using the task sequence option. Our environment is filled with Windows 7 and Windows 8 clients. I have about 800-1000 workstations that will need this .msi installed.

For the task sequence I ran, I kicked off a batch file that simply excecuted my .msi.

Maybe there is a better way to do this without lossing the option to specify the account?

Thanks in advance guys, I have a 1 week deadline to get this to work. I'm running out of ideas!

No specific reason, I found some vbscripts that someone used to run all of there applications, the only real positive was the option where the script created a log file every time an msi was insalled in the following directory - C:\Windows\CCM\Logs and created a file name for the installer, but honestly this isn't a neccessity. For right now I just want to make this as simple and diverese enough to run on multiple OS.

I ran the follwoing batch file below and it seemed to work on one windows 8.1 computer, but failed on a windows 7 computer. I can do some more trouble shooting on the other computer, could have been an issue on that pc, but packages and applications installed fine. Task sequence seemed to fail. Maybe I need to get a little more creative with my command line.

This is what i ran as a .bat, would it be better to just put something in the command line and not reference a .bat file at all?

@echo off

msiexec.exe /q /i "%~dp0ClientSetupMSI.msi"

exit

Thanks a lot for the reply, I'm new to SCCM and pressure is starting to settle in for my deployments.

This may be a seperate issue, but my task sequence just got stuck at downloading at 0% unless I logged off and back in when I select the option to download the content locally on deployment.

If i select the option to download only when needed it works without issue, (but was then failing).

One early advice, tackle the issues one-by-one. When your batch file only starts the MSI, I would definitly get rid of it. Simply create and application within ConfigMgr, import the MSI and a standard command line will be created for you. That command line should be enough to run the biggest part of the standard MSI's.

• Like 1

If you create a program from the MSI you should be able to deploy it without specifying credentials unless that application needs specific credentials to install. It should create multiple types of installs and uninstalls from it for you and then you would just select the appropriate one.