mikedisd

Is SCUP still relevant?

I'm having trouble coming up with a third party application design. I configured SCUP to test deploying Java through SUP with flaky results. I was wondering, now that CM2012 uses Applications deployment with detection methods as well as supercedence, is SCUP really relevant anymore for patch management. There's no budget in our company for Secunia, Solarwinds or whatever and creating SCUP packages seems to take just as long as a CM2012 Application.

Just wondering how everyone else is addressing third part app patching.

I'm using SCUP for patching Adobe reader and Flash (both activeX and non activeX version), nice and easy. When it comes to JAVA, it's more difficult. Currently, I'm deploying JAVA full install through SCCM. It runs only when no user is logged on.

We're also patching VLC Player and IrfanView. Those programs are also deployed through SCCM. It uninstalls existing versions and installing new version. Works like a charm.

/kman

SCUP does great with the existing supported catalogs from the few vendors that put them out there. My experience has been manually creating other 3rd party updates can be done, but its often been finicky and a pain for me. I was looking at Shavik Patch at my old job, but their licensing last I knew was a license cost per machine covered under the patching (IE: if you want to keep 200 systems updated on their 3rd party solutions, you pay for 200 licenses at X amount of dollars.) They maintain a pretty decent list of 3rd party software updates, and for certain places may be worth every penny. There is another 3rd party update maintainer, similar licensing model, but it's name escapes me at the moment.

I'm trying to get a handle on Adobe Reader, Flash and Java updates through SCCM 2012 using WSUS. Is there an easy way other than downloading the updates and deploying them? I'd like to do these updates at the same time I do Patch Tuesday updates through SCCM Software Update Groups. I've not looked into Solar Winds yet. In my limited experience, pushing Adobe and Java through application deployments doesn't always work as I would expect.