Jump to content


dooty22

Windows Updates Wont Deploy to Client

Recommended Posts

I have an interesting case and Im stuck with this.

 

I have everything set with auto-deploy rules etc, and updates seem to be deploying ok to other clients.

 

I have one windows 7 vm, fresh vanilla install and updates refuse to deploy to it. A test software deployment of adobe reader deployed fine.

 

The updatesdeployment.log shows it scanning and adding alot of updates to a deployment schedule. Alot of entries like this (hundreds)

 

Update (Site_46872716-190B-45ED-B651-80F57364D553/SUM_3ae68db3-72a1-4f93-8e68-75bb8e07823e) added to the targeted list of deployment ({e547f70c-419f-41d9-89e1-5c507200e82f})

 

Then I have this

 

A user-defined service window(non-business hours) is available. We will attempt to install any scheduled updates.

Attempting to install 0 updates

No actionable updates for install task. No attempt required.

 

and this repeats over and over and has been for maybe a week now.

 

The wuahandler log suggests it has correctly registered the sup

 

Existing WUA Managed server was already set (http://SVR-3.CORE.NET:8530), skipping Group Policy registration .

 

 

 

Some other searching suggested a maintenance window issue. Since this is a lab environment I have only 4 collections and its easy to confrirm i have no maintenance windows, and the srs report confirms this. I also went and removed all the user "work hours' from software center.

 

The deployment is scheduled as available and then a deadline which has passed over a couple of months ago.

 

I also have no group policies for auto-updates set in the domain.

 

I notice if I look at windows update control panel on the client itself that auto-update is not enabled, and its asking me to enable it. I havent done this yet because i figure i shouldnt have to, it might ruin the test case, and the cm client should be taking care of it id have thought.

 

if anyone has any hints on where i go next with this or logs to check, wld be much appreciated

 

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes enabled Software Updates in the client. As i mentioned, other clients are getting updates ok, its this one client.

 

Anything specifically Peter ?

 

I have an ADR, which runs monthly, it creates a new update group and automatically creates and enables the deployment. The schedule on the ADR is set to be available "as soon as possible", so is the deadline. It is set to allow installation outside of maintenance windows, all updates go into the same single package every month (and I see this is pushed successfully to the DP after the last run of the ADR)

 

I have a single standalone site server (svr-3.core.net) which is the SUP, and a single DP (svr-2.core.net).

 

The client is definitely in the targetted collection, the cm client is active healthy etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im also seeing this in the updatesdeployment.log

 

No current service window available to run updates assignment with time required = 1

 

Im getting a suspicion that because so many updates are needed, some calculation on the time required to run them all is exceeding some limit...somewhere...but I dont know how to verify that.

 

as i said earlier im 100% certain that no maintenance windows are configured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so i found the issue on other clients pointing to a server problem. I couldnt find any issues in any of the logs or eventvwr. I ended up removing all the adr's and packages, removing the sup role, removing the wsus server role, deleting the wsus database, then re-adding everything again from scratch, configuring it exactly the same, and now I have updates coming down again.

 

Seems like a sledgehammer fix but there we go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so i found the issue on other clients pointing to a server problem. I couldnt find any issues in any of the logs or eventvwr. I ended up removing all the adr's and packages, removing the sup role, removing the wsus server role, deleting the wsus database, then re-adding everything again from scratch, configuring it exactly the same, and now I have updates coming down again.

 

Seems like a sledgehammer fix but there we go.

 

Sledgehammer indeed. I have the exact same problem happening on 2/20 clients in my testing collection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


×
×
  • Create New...