anyweb

How can I deploy Windows 8.1 x64 to the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 using MDT 2013 ?

67 posts in this topic

copy the entire contents of your Windows 8.1 with update extracted iso to E:\Source\Operating Systems\Windows 8.1 x64

or whatever your path is, they try running the script again

Hi

I have done this a few times now.

Am i right in thinking once it has imported the OS and then tries to create the TS, the OS Name is what should be in the code line? As this then tells it where the wim is located.

I.E. when i look in the work bench I see “Windows 8.1 Enterprise Evaluation in Windows 8.1 Enterprise Evaluation x64 install.wim” as operating system name.

So the code should be:

import-mdttasksequence -path "DS001:\Task Sequences\Windows 8.1 x64" -Name "Deploy Windows 8.1 x64 - Surface Pro 3" -Template "Client.xml" -Comments "© windows-noob.com" -ID "001" -Version "1.0" -OperatingSystemPath "DS001:\Operating Systems\Windows 8.1 x64\Windows 8.1 Enterprise Evaluation in Windows 8.1 Enterprise Evaluation x64 install.wim" -FullName "windows-noob" -OrgName "windows-noob.com" -HomePage "about:blank" -AdminPassword "Password" -Verbose

i didn't use that version so I don't know, but if you can get your hands on the Enterprise ISO you should see the same thing as I did.

Windows 8.1 Enterprise Evaluation in Windows 8.1 Enterprise Evaluation x64 install.wim

can't be right, look at the path, the wim will generally always be called install.wim

Hi

When replaced with Operating systems\Windows 8.1 x64\sources\install.WIM i get a error "object reference not set to an instance of an object"

???

Paul

show me a screenshot of where you copied the operating system files to please

I changed the media version to Ent and it worked thanks.

i am getting an error now when trying to build that the device could not connect to the deployment share as a networking device did not have a diver installed. i tried injecting the nic drivers into the wim but still no joy

any ideas?

paul

how you are testing the deployment ? the boot wim is updated with surface pro 3 drivers, are you booting a surface pro 3 ?

Hi Niall,

My Surface Pro deployment does not finish and I get the below error:

"A connection to the deployment share (\\192.168.1.***\MDTDEploy$) could not be made. Connection OK. Possible cause invalid credentials."

My Bootstrap.ini looks like this. I am using a local admin account on the deployment server.

[settings]
Priority=Default

[Default]
DeployRoot=\\192.168.1.***\MDTDeploy$
UserID=MDT
UserDomain=WDS
UserPassword=******

I have tried a local admin account, a domin account in bootstrap.ini but everytime I get the same error. The deploy share has the appropriate permissions for the local user and domain user account.

The server is Windows 2012 R2 Datacenter. It has the WDS role installed. This server is in part of our domain.

Any ideas ? Thanks.

do you have a valid ip address when it fails ?

Yes the machine has a valid IP address. I can browse to the deployment share from the surface as well.

well if it's a local user then why are you specificying a domain ? try inputting the server ip there instead

Hi Niall,

I used the IP address this time but I got the same error.

Here is how the BootStrap.ini looks like.

[settings]
Priority=Default

[Default]
DeployRoot=\\192.168.1.232\MDTDeploy$
UserID=MDT
UserDomain=192.168.1.232
UserPassword=********

The surface is getting a valid IP address from the DHCP server. Are there logs stored somewhere which can shed some light regarding this issue ?

have you checked the C:\MININT\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS\bdd.log yet ?

it should contain lines explaining what is wrong

have you verified that not only are you updating the MDT deploymemt share but that you are also updating the boot wim stored in WDS, as updating the deployment share does not do this for you and it'll use your old bootstrap.ini until you do

open Windows Deployment Services, go to the Boot Images folder, right click and then Replace the current boot image with the one just rebuilt.

I found out the issue. I was not injecting the ethernet drivers and that was causing the deployment to fail. Although the surface was connected to wi-fi and I was able to access the deployment share but the deployment process needed Ethernet connection to go forward.

The error message regarding the invalid credentials is a bit misleading. But it's all sorted now. Thanks.

if you had used my script then you wouldn't have that problem ;-)

As another user posted on March 10th, I get this with the script after booting PXE, it can't connect to the share due to the driver not being available. But I manually added the Giga adapter for the docking station. Seems like it just isn't picking up on something after updating WDS etc..

"The following network device did not have a driver installed. PCI\Ven_11...blah"

Retry or Cancel. Obviously missing something.

I'm running a SF3 with latest updates/firmware from March 26 on this device, as I said with a docking station for the NIC connection.

Really, I'm trying to just capture and image from a sysprepped SF3 for our company, then deploy it to the 30+ we have. Little lost here and any help appreciated on the NIC/driver issues.

Thanks, great work on this BTW.

verify if you have a connection to the deployment share in winpe, if not something went wrong with the driver injection into the boot wim, check the powershell logs in ISE, scroll back and look for any red errors

Thanks, great work on this BTW.

thanks !

Well, it loads into the gui, and has gets to the Surface3 name in the GUI, but when I then click next, like that last screen shot, it reboots, and around in circles. So, I can't even get to or see the logs or what is going on unfortunately.

On the PXE boot, it is connecting to the server, set it to Admin approval mode, and it of course is talking to it and seeing a list of images to start to download etc.

It is just once I get to the gui where is all falls down.

Will look at the driver injection, maybe once into the Gui, it isn't loading the drivers since they aren't there. But it will usually throw and error about the deployment share with other devices.

Really what I'd like to do is be able to boot this thing up and capture an image of the C parition. But the Windows PE doesn't have the capture wizard in the image. So. Stuck on that mode now trying to create a capture image from the lite touch x64 pe image..but fails.

Thx

can you press f8 and grab the bdd.log or smsts.log ?

Hello,

Thank you for this guide, it was very helpful and I used it to deploy windos 8.1 to surface pro 3 (I did skip the automation script though).

I have one question, after deploying I created a "syspres and capture" task in MDT to image the surface pro... I keep running into this error

Failure: (5456): Unable to determine destination disk, Partition........

Failed to run the action: Apply Windows PE

what exactly is the task Apply Windows PE doing? it's trying to write something to one of the partitions and failing.

the disk has 4 partitions after the installation

Recovery 300mb

System 499mb

reserved 128mb

Primary 237GB

This is on a surface pro 3, I looked at the logs and online but still unable to get it to work

Thank you in advance for your help

post-29251-0-52637900-1427864724_thumb.jpg

you really should be creating reference images on virtual hardware and use apply driver package steps to customize a deploy task sequence to custom hardware,

can you attach your bdd.log and smts.log ?

Attached are the logs and a pic of how the system is partition, today I installed win8.1 from a usb media trying to simplify things but I still can't complete the capture task. No SysPrep involved also as I'm trying to keep it simple to get the task to work..

I tried this fix from MS with no luck too

http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2797676

Thank you

BDD.LOG

smsts.log

post-29251-0-78208800-1427910692_thumb.jpg

post-29251-0-71450800-1427910694_thumb.jpg

LTIApply.log

after looking at the LTIApply.log, the recovery partition on the drive didn't have a letter assigned when I was in Windows PE environment , I assigned it a letter and the capture worked after restarting..... not sure why this WIndows PE step is required and its restart....

All I want to do is boot with USB into windows PE , connect to deployment share and run the task to capture image... can I just disable the highlighted steps

post-29251-0-40766800-1427915288_thumb.jpg

I have an update, it finally worked but the sequence I need to do is this:

- boot the surface pro with USB, once at the deployment wizard remove the USB stick, run the task to capture, task finished and reboots but it reboots into surface desktop instead of creating the image

-I then plug the usb again and reboot, the surface boots from USB and continue its task of creating the image to the shared drive.

to summarize, the task Apply Windows PE was failing when the bootable USB was plugged in , removing the USB allows the task to complete but then I need to replug so on the next restart the image creation will complete.

I'm confused on what does the "Apply Windows PE" task does and to where it writes its files and why it needs to restart to create the image? if you can please explain that would be great..... I'll continue testing in the meantime

Thanks,

Wisam