anyweb

How can I deploy Windows 8.1 x64 to the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 using MDT 2013 ?

final update:

I was able to capture by removing the USB stick before running the capture task in Windows PE, so bascially I just booted with the USB stick into winPE, removed it and ran the task from the Deployment wizard, it ran with no issue.

I also skipped the winpe steps, they were causing alot of issue.

I then was able to resore that image to another Surface which had no partitions or OS via the usb stick with no issue.

Thank you

glad you got it working but i'll stand by my original comment, you should be capturing the image on virtual machines and deploying that reference image to your Surface Pro 3's (and other devices)

I havnt tried it but you could script it to create the required recovery partitions (two, one for recovery boot files and one for the recovery image) in GPT mode, and then script it to copy the backup image to that special partition, recovery partitions are special, they are hidden and marked with certain GPT GUID's as described in another post by me on UEFI Refresh scenarios.

Hello i'm Deploying a Surface PRo 3 with MDT 2013. Using the Microsoft Driver pack Surfacepro3_150519.zip. The Surface is in the microsoft dock.

I Get a error after very reboot that sayes can't connect to the deployment share. with the option retry or cancel. If i retry the deployment goes on.

I included a part of the BDD.log of the Machine.

can someone please help me i have to deploy 50 Surface pro 3 tablet.

Event 41017 sent: LTI initiating task sequence-requested reboot. LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:22:46 0 (0x0000)
Creating RunOnce registry key to run LiteTouch.wsf for the next reboot. LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:22:46 0 (0x0000)
Property BootPE is now = LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:22:46 0 (0x0000)
Microsoft Deployment Toolkit version: 6.2.5019.0 LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:23:07 0 (0x0000)
ZTIUtility!GetAllFixedDrives (Onwaar) LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:23:07 0 (0x0000)
New ZTIDisk : \\MOSMD1003\root\cimv2:Win32_DiskDrive.DeviceID="\\\\.\\PHYSICALDRIVE0" LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:23:07 0 (0x0000)
New ZTIDisk : \\MOSMD1003\root\cimv2:Win32_DiskDrive.DeviceID="\\\\.\\PHYSICALDRIVE0" LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:23:07 0 (0x0000)
New ZTIDiskPartition : \\MOSMD1003\root\cimv2:Win32_DiskPartition.DeviceID="Disk #0, Partition #2" \\MOSMD1003\root\cimv2:Win32_LogicalDisk.DeviceID="C:" LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:23:07 0 (0x0000)
ZTIUtility!GetAllFixedDrives = C: LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:23:07 0 (0x0000)
Found existing task sequence state information in C:\_SMSTaskSequence, will continue LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:23:07 0 (0x0000)
Not running within WinPE. LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:23:07 0 (0x0000)
DeploymentMethod = UNC LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:23:07 0 (0x0000)
Validating connection to \\WDS-01\DeploymentShare$ LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:23:07 0 (0x0000)
No physical adapters present, cannot deploy over wireless LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:23:07 0 (0x0000)
Unable to connect to the deployment share \\WDS-01\DeploymentShare$.
DHCP Lease was not obtained for any Networking device! Possible Cause: Check physical connection. LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:23:08 0 (0x0000)
ValidateDeployRootWithRecovery: Retry LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:25:30 0 (0x0000)
Validating connection to \\WDS-01\DeploymentShare$ LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:25:30 0 (0x0000)
Mapping server share: \\WDS-01\DeploymentShare$ LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:25:30 0 (0x0000)
Mapped Network UNC Path Z: = \\WDS-01\DeploymentShare$ LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:25:32 0 (0x0000)
Found Existing UNC Path Z: = \\WDS-01\DeploymentShare$ LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:25:32 0 (0x0000)
Successfully established connection using supplied credentials. LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:25:32 0 (0x0000)
DeployRoot = \\WDS-01\DeploymentShare$ LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:25:32 0 (0x0000)
Property DeployDrive is now = Z: LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:25:32 0 (0x0000)
DeployDrive = Z: LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:25:32 0 (0x0000)
Phase = STATERESTORE LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:25:32 0 (0x0000)

sounds like you havn't got the gigabit network driver in your boot wim, which you would have if you used my PowerShell script, so... are you using my script or not ?

No i'm not using your script. Boot wim is build throug the MDT. First boot to PXE is ok. After the initial install i got the error. but with a retry the deployment continues. Looks like some kind of timeout loading the driver.

so if you press f8 when it's failing, do you have an ip ? can you ping your mdt server ip address ?

This is realy Strange. for me to press F8 i had to modify the customsettings.ini and remove the line hideshell=yes.

Now the deployment gives no errors more on the screen during the deployment. Also o errors more in the Logfiles.

if i set the line hideshell back errors are back.

This is very strange.

PS: Made sense to create new thread.. You site and forum is amazing and I wonder why it did not show up on my Google searches regarding issues for Surface Pro 3.

I will link to that thread here. I figured the MDT might be easier than SCCM for me.. But maybe you have a simpler way for this simple task.

Create/ Image/ Sysprep Win 8.1 & Win 10 VHDs WIMs for Native Boot on Surface Pro 3 for isolated activities without huge server setup?

When I try to PXE boot to my surface pro I get a really quick flash of an error (Which I had to capture with my slo-mo feature on my iPhone!!!)

Server IP Address is 192.168.23.246 (Which is correct)

NBP filename is boot\x64xwdsmgfw.efi

NBP filesize is 0 Bytes

Then returns and boots up into windows.

Any ideas?

is the MDT server configured using this script or otherwise ?

Hello!

Long time follower/reader, first time replying though. First and foremost, thank you for all your information, you are the man!! Now to my issue(s)...

I have setup my deployment 97% the same way you have, a couple minor tweaks as I already had MDT running and working for multiple models of computers in our environment. I followed through your guide and verified I had done everything as you did less the script portion. My issue is that my device will not PXE boot, as in it shows that it finds the "media" and states downloading the NBP file. It then skips to IPv6 boot, sits for a bit then boots normally. I have attached the images in the order they occur.

All my other models are still able to PXE boot & image without any issues. I have verified all drivers/updates/firmware are correct and am using the Microsoft Dock for my Ethernet connection.

Help? Please?!

UPDATE: I took a video of the process as I noticed a VERY quick message after the NBP portion. I was able to review the video and found that it is showing PXE-E99: Unexpected Network Error. I again verified that all my other models are working. Updated my shares, verified drivers/firmware/etc. I even adjusted settings in the "BIOS" just to test with, but nothing is making a difference on this one at all.

UPDATE #2: I have moved past the PXE issues but am now having a problem where the image applies but does not perform the steps to join the domain, rename the PC, etc. I have reviewed the logs and have no errors, it's like it just decided to stop processing once the image is applied. I am at a total loss at this point and would GREATLY appreciate some help from anyone.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Simply create media using MDT from the Media node of your deployment share. See Step 7 in the Deploy Windows 8.1 from a USB stick Step-by-Step.

Once you generate the offline installer files you simply copy them to a USB stick that has an active partition (you can set the partition to active with diskpart).

Brandon
Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
Windows for IT Pros at TechNet

Hello!

Long time follower/reader, first time replying though. First and foremost, thank you for all your information, you are the man!! Now to my issue(s)...

I have setup my deployment 97% the same way you have, a couple minor tweaks as I already had MDT running and working for multiple models of computers in our environment. I followed through your guide and verified I had done everything as you did less the script portion. My issue is that my device will not PXE boot, as in it shows that it finds the "media" and states downloading the NBP file. It then skips to IPv6 boot, sits for a bit then boots normally. I have attached the images in the order they occur.

All my other models are still able to PXE boot & image without any issues. I have verified all drivers/updates/firmware are correct and am using the Microsoft Dock for my Ethernet connection.

Help? Please?!

UPDATE: I took a video of the process as I noticed a VERY quick message after the NBP portion. I was able to review the video and found that it is showing PXE-E99: Unexpected Network Error. I again verified that all my other models are working. Updated my shares, verified drivers/firmware/etc. I even adjusted settings in the "BIOS" just to test with, but nothing is making a difference on this one at all.

UPDATE #2: I have moved past the PXE issues but am now having a problem where the image applies but does not perform the steps to join the domain, rename the PC, etc. I have reviewed the logs and have no errors, it's like it just decided to stop processing once the image is applied. I am at a total loss at this point and would GREATLY appreciate some help from anyone.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

can you attach your logs please ? including the netsetup.log