We use cookies to let you log in, for ads and for analytics. OK

Photo

How can I deploy Windows 8.1 x64 to the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 using MDT 2013 ?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 anyweb

anyweb

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts
  • Interests:Deploying Operating systems and more with System Center Configuration Manager

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:17 AM

if you had used my script then you wouldn't have that problem ;-)

Microsoft MVP > Enterprise Client Management
My linkedin profile at > linkedin.com
Follow me on Twitter > ncbrady
Follow windowsnoob.com on Twitter > windowsnoob
My blog

#42 techlogik

techlogik

• Established Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:01 PM

As another user posted on March 10th, I get this with the script after booting PXE, it can't connect to the share due to the driver not being available.  But I manually added the Giga adapter for the docking station.  Seems like it just isn't picking up on something after updating WDS etc..

"The following network device did not have a driver installed. PCI\Ven_11...blah"

Retry or Cancel.  Obviously missing something.

I'm running a SF3 with latest updates/firmware from March 26 on this device, as I said with a docking station for the NIC connection.

Really, I'm trying to just capture and image from a sysprepped SF3 for our company, then deploy it to the 30+ we have.  Little lost here and any help appreciated on the NIC/driver issues.

Thanks, great work on this BTW.

#43 anyweb

anyweb

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts
  • Interests:Deploying Operating systems and more with System Center Configuration Manager

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:31 AM

verify if you have a connection to the deployment share in winpe, if not something went wrong with the driver injection into the boot wim, check the powershell logs in ISE, scroll back and look for any red errors

Thanks, great work on this BTW.

thanks !

My blog

#44 techlogik

techlogik

• Established Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:29 PM

Well, it loads into the gui, and has gets to the Surface3 name in the GUI, but when I then click next, like that last screen shot, it reboots, and around in circles.  So, I can't even get to or see the logs or what is going on unfortunately.

On the PXE boot, it is connecting to the server, set it to Admin approval mode, and it of course is talking to it and seeing a list of images to start to download etc.

It is just once I get to the gui where is all falls down. 

Will look at the driver injection, maybe once into the Gui, it isn't loading the drivers since they aren't there.  But it will usually throw and error about the deployment share with other devices. 

Really what I'd like to do is be able to boot this thing up and capture an image of the C parition.  But the Windows PE doesn't have the capture wizard in the image.  So.  Stuck on that mode now trying to create a capture image from the lite touch x64 pe image..but fails.

Thx

#45 anyweb

anyweb

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:45 AM

can you press f8 and grab the bdd.log or smsts.log ?

My blog

#46 appcain

appcain

• Established Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:08 AM

Hello,

Thank you for this guide, it was very helpful and I used it to deploy windos 8.1 to surface pro 3 (I did skip the automation script though).

I have one question, after deploying I created a "syspres and capture" task in MDT to image the surface pro... I keep running into this error

Failure: (5456): Unable to determine destination disk, Partition........

Failed to run the action: Apply Windows PE

what exactly is the task Apply Windows PE doing? it's trying to write something to one of the partitions and failing.

the disk has 4 partitions after the installation

Recovery 300mb

System     499mb

reserved   128mb

Primary     237GB

This is on a surface pro 3, I looked at the logs and online but still unable to get it to work

Thank you in advance for your help

Attached Images

• IMG_3815.JPG

#47 anyweb

anyweb

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:41 AM

you really should be creating reference images on virtual hardware and use apply driver package steps to customize a deploy task sequence to custom hardware,

can you attach your bdd.log and smts.log ?

My blog

#48 appcain

appcain

• Established Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:53 PM

Attached are the logs and a pic of how the system is partition, today I installed win8.1 from a usb media trying to simplify things but I still can't complete the capture task. No SysPrep involved also as I'm trying to keep it simple to get the task to work..

I tried this fix from MS with no luck too

http://support.micro...n-us/kb/2797676

Thank you

Attached Images

• 4-1-2015 10-48-48 AM.jpg
  • partitions.jpg

Attached Files

#49 appcain

appcain

• Established Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:08 PM

after looking at the LTIApply.log,  the recovery partition on the drive didn't have a letter assigned when I was in Windows PE environment , I assigned it a letter and the capture worked after restarting..... not sure why this WIndows PE step is required and its restart....

All I want to do is boot with USB into windows PE , connect to deployment share and run the task to capture image... can I just disable the highlighted steps

Attached Images

• task2.jpg

#50 appcain

appcain

• Established Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:00 PM

I have an update, it finally worked but the sequence I need to do is this:

- boot the surface pro with USB, once at the deployment wizard remove the USB stick, run the task to capture, task finished and reboots but it reboots into surface desktop instead of creating the image

-I then plug the usb again and reboot, the surface boots from USB and continue its task of creating the image to the shared drive.

to summarize, the task Apply Windows PE was failing when the bootable USB was plugged in , removing the USB allows the task to complete but then I need to replug so on the next restart the image creation will complete.

I'm confused on what does the "Apply Windows PE" task does and to where it writes its files and why it needs to restart to create the image? if you can please explain that would be great..... I'll continue testing in the meantime

Thanks,

Wisam

#51 appcain

appcain

• Established Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:56 PM

final update:

I was able to capture by removing the USB stick before running the capture task in Windows PE, so bascially I just booted with the USB stick into winPE, removed it and ran the task from the Deployment wizard, it ran with no issue.

I also skipped the winpe steps, they were causing alot of issue.

I then was able to resore that image to another Surface which had no partitions or OS via the usb stick with no issue.

Thank you

#52 anyweb

anyweb

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:45 AM

glad you got it working but i'll stand by my original comment, you should be capturing the image on virtual machines and deploying that reference image to your Surface Pro 3's (and other devices)

My blog

#53 Stonywall

Stonywall

• Established Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:02 PM

Thank you, this works remarkably well.  Not sure if you would know, but can you use MDT to deploy the Surface Pro 3 recovery image?

https://www.microsof...lerecoveryimage

#54 anyweb

anyweb

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:52 PM

I havnt tried it but you could script it to create the required recovery partitions (two, one for recovery boot files and one for the recovery image) in GPT mode, and then script it to copy the backup image to that special partition, recovery partitions are special, they are hidden and marked with certain GPT GUID's as described in another post by me on UEFI Refresh scenarios.

My blog

#55 tes-com

tes-com

• Established Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:57 PM

Hello i'm Deploying a Surface PRo 3 with MDT 2013. Using the Microsoft Driver pack Surfacepro3_150519.zip. The Surface is in the microsoft dock.

I Get a error after very reboot that sayes can't connect to the deployment share. with the option retry or cancel. If i retry the deployment goes on.

I included a part of the BDD.log of the Machine.

can someone please help me i have to deploy 50 Surface pro 3 tablet.

Event 41017 sent: LTI initiating task sequence-requested reboot. LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:22:46 0 (0x0000)
Creating RunOnce registry key to run LiteTouch.wsf for the next reboot. LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:22:46 0 (0x0000)
Property BootPE is now = LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:22:46 0 (0x0000)
Microsoft Deployment Toolkit version: 6.2.5019.0 LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:23:07 0 (0x0000)
ZTIUtility!GetAllFixedDrives (Onwaar) LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:23:07 0 (0x0000)
New ZTIDisk : \\MOSMD1003\root\cimv2:Win32_DiskDrive.DeviceID="\\\\.\\PHYSICALDRIVE0" LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:23:07 0 (0x0000)
New ZTIDisk : \\MOSMD1003\root\cimv2:Win32_DiskDrive.DeviceID="\\\\.\\PHYSICALDRIVE0" LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:23:07 0 (0x0000)
New ZTIDiskPartition : \\MOSMD1003\root\cimv2:Win32_DiskPartition.DeviceID="Disk #0, Partition #2" \\MOSMD1003\root\cimv2:Win32_LogicalDisk.DeviceID="C:" LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:23:07 0 (0x0000)
ZTIUtility!GetAllFixedDrives = C: LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:23:07 0 (0x0000)
Found existing task sequence state information in C:\_SMSTaskSequence, will continue LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:23:07 0 (0x0000)
Not running within WinPE. LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:23:07 0 (0x0000)
DeploymentMethod = UNC LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:23:07 0 (0x0000)
Validating connection to \\WDS-01\DeploymentShare$ LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:23:07 0 (0x0000)
No physical adapters present, cannot deploy over wireless LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:23:07 0 (0x0000)
Unable to connect to the deployment share \\WDS-01\DeploymentShare$.
DHCP Lease was not obtained for any Networking device! Possible Cause: Check physical connection. LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:23:08 0 (0x0000)
ValidateDeployRootWithRecovery: Retry LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:25:30 0 (0x0000)
Validating connection to \\WDS-01\DeploymentShare$ LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:25:30 0 (0x0000)
Mapping server share: \\WDS-01\DeploymentShare$ LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:25:30 0 (0x0000)
Mapped Network UNC Path Z: = \\WDS-01\DeploymentShare$ LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:25:32 0 (0x0000)
Found Existing UNC Path Z: = \\WDS-01\DeploymentShare$ LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:25:32 0 (0x0000)
Successfully established connection using supplied credentials. LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:25:32 0 (0x0000)
DeployRoot = \\WDS-01\DeploymentShare$ LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:25:32 0 (0x0000)
Property DeployDrive is now = Z: LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:25:32 0 (0x0000)
DeployDrive = Z: LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:25:32 0 (0x0000)
Phase = STATERESTORE LiteTouch 5-6-2015 13:25:32 0 (0x0000)

#56 anyweb

anyweb

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:18 PM

sounds like you havn't got the gigabit network driver in your boot wim, which you would have if you used my PowerShell script, so... are you using my script or not ?

My blog

#57 tes-com

tes-com

• Established Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:39 PM

No i'm not using your script. Boot wim is build throug the MDT. First boot to PXE is ok. After the initial install i got the error. but with a retry the deployment continues. Looks like some kind of timeout loading the driver.

#58 anyweb

anyweb

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 06:35 PM

so if you press f8 when it's failing, do you have an ip ? can you ping your mdt server ip address ?

My blog

#59 tes-com

tes-com

• Established Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 10:34 AM

This is realy Strange. for me to press F8 i had to modify the customsettings.ini and remove the line hideshell=yes.

Now the deployment gives no errors more on the screen during the deployment. Also o errors more in the Logfiles.

if i set the line hideshell back errors are back.

This is very strange.

#60 xbliss

xbliss

• Established Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:00 PM

PS: Made sense to create new thread.. You site and forum is amazing and I wonder why it did not show up on my Google searches regarding issues for Surface Pro 3. 

I will link to that thread here. I figured the MDT might be easier than SCCM for me.. But maybe you have a simpler way for this simple task. 

Create/ Image/ Sysprep Win 8.1 & Win 10 VHDs WIMs for Native Boot on Surface Pro 3 for isolated activities without huge server setup?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users