sccmrookie

sccm 2012 r2 offline deployment win7 - usb stick/mdt 2013

hi

my environment is working ok ish, so I can install via pxe win 7 o/s to both desktop and laptops, but there
seems to be a problem with offline media.

For the laptops it works, but not the desktops, the drivers are fine for the desktops as I've tested the drivers, the drivers work fine via pxe, but not via offline deployment - the task sequence fails.

I need to come up with a solution that will do the following.

1.) install win 7 x64 ent on both desktops and laptops
2,) install the drivers
3.) Must be via USB stick.

Now i have tried and tried with task sequences etc. imported the drivers etc., it seems to work for laptops
but not desktops.

The same task sequence works via pxe for both desktop and laptops but not via usb.

The reason i need usb is so that I can send the files offline to my i.t reseller who can ship pc straight to site.

I could use ghost/clonezilla for this but this is not what my company want to do - they want SCCM .wim files and nothing else !!!

I need a method that will work and that I can maintain (just repeat the same tasks but with different/newer drivers) and easy to understand - so I just need to update the drivers on the usb stick

The usb stick is 32gb usb3.0 and will be more than quick enough to build machines for the vendor.

I have not used MDT 2013 yet but i have it installed and have been advised to use this with sccm 2012 config manager.

any helps would be really appreciated

Thanks in advance

If it's a single model of a computer I would use the DISM tool from Windows ADK 8.1 to mount the image offline and add the drivers directly to the wim on the USB.

Search for technet hh825070 for a full description.

This would be the 1st thing I would try.

If you want to stick to using SCCM alone then I'd need to look at the smsts log and how the task sequence is adding the drivers to the image.

Hi fred

thanks for replying - I have really struggled with this and had so called SCCM experts come in and try and assist, and i am trying my best to get this working.

I am a complete rookie so i've setup my lab enviroment from a walkthrough then got it going with a bit of assistance and patches - the pxe was the biggest pain.

the reason for the lab enviroment is so that i do the testing of osd in there and packaging before pushing out to the "live" enviroment.

I can also detail how the task sequences are configured aswell.

i am also getting "mixed" info from sccm supposed experts aswell - 2 people say that i should have separate tasks sequences for desktop/laptops and separate usb sticks, and another who i actually know on a personal level says - no i should be able to make 1 usb stick with all relevant drivers on there that injects and installs drivers.

The tasks sequences i have setup /configured have drivers there for both desktop and laptop, so if one of the task sequences fails it goes on to the next, i have also i think put in wmi queries too - but with assistance - this is where my knowledge is lacking.

I will take a look at getting the smts log to you, i presume i can get this by pressing f8 when the imaging fails? even though the machine hasn't been imaged and it "fails" i should be able to copy this file to a .txt /.log file at this point?

Are there any guides /walkthrough to this particular scenario ?

Many thanks fred for the assistance.

To add, i have also gone and had a look and found some links to another option.

this is using purely mdt2013. Am i allowed to post links here or not? - not copyrighted material?

I haven't used mdt2013 yet, but i presume this is a cut down version of sccm 2012?

i have installed mdt2013 on my sccm2012 config manager server box, but i am wondering for this particular task

whether using purely mdt2013 maybe simpler for me as a rookie as I think SCCM maybe over complex for this task ?

And just for my understanding WAIK 8.1 = MDT 2013?

Thanks everyone

Don't worry about being a rookie at this, everyone starts at zero, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

If I understand correctly you need a single OEM install for your vendor, the vendor will only accept .wim format, and you have laptops and desktops. Laptops work via PXE but desktops don't. Do you have multiple models of laptops and desktops?

Some may disagree but I believe MDT is better for building and capturing images. I know you have an SCCM environment built. You probably don't want to dig into another yet another program but MDT is better (and easier) than SCCM when it comes to imaging. SO depending on your time limitations and your sanity you could look into MDT. I'll help you muscle through this too.

WAIK 8.1 isn't MDT but it's a necessary component for creating Win7 images as well as server 08 and up. You should already have it if you're imaging with Configuration Manager. WAIK comes with tools like DISM, WinPE, and ImageX. I was using these before I started using MDT or ConfigMgr,

Short of the long if you want to stick with SCCM and not get involved with MDT right now because you have a deadline then I'll have to see your smsts log. Depending when the TS fails you can find it in one of the following 4 places:

Before your hard drive is formatted and partitioned (Press F8)
X:\windows\temp\smstslog\
After your hard drive is partitioned formatted (F8)
X:\smstslog\ and then is in C:\_SMSTaskSequence\logs\smstslog\
Within Windows before the SCCM agent is installed:
C:\_SMSTaskSequence\logs\smstslog\
Within Windows after the SCCM agent installed:
C:\windows\system32\ccm\logs\smstslog\

hi Fredbeard,

thanks for showing some patience with me.

I have been in i.t for years and know clonezilla, ghost, altiris etc. etc

The people who have meant to be SCCM experts i';ve met have not really assisted me in my knowledge, and material out there doesn't help me with this

particular scenario - I am not lazy and don't mind trying things or paying for knowledge and troubleshooting but this has been a really pain in the ...

Anyway answers to your questions :-

the vendor will only accept .wim format, and you have laptops and desktops. Laptops work via PXE but desktops don't. Do you have multiple models of laptops and desktops? - yes this is correct- my manager wants me to send .wim files to vendor so they can ship straight to site - i create "golden image" and send to vendor.

I will be using only hp desktops and laptops

Some may disagree but I believe MDT is better for building and capturing images. I know you have an SCCM environment built. You probably don't want to dig into another yet another program but MDT is better (and easier) than SCCM when it comes to imaging. SO depending on your time limitations and your sanity you could look into MDT. I'll help you muscle through this too.

THANK YOU !

I was looking for some assistance in MDT in SCCM and there doesn't seem to be any walkthrough guides, everyone keeps going on about PXE!

which I am fine with it .

I know my infrastructure isn't too bad as I can do a capture via PXE so that gives me some confidence.

WAIK 8.1 isn't MDT but it's a necessary component for creating Win7 images as well as server 08 and up. You should already have it if you're imaging with Configuration Manager. WAIK comes with tools like DISM, WinPE, and ImageX. I was using these before I started using MDT or ConfigMgr,

I have installed WAIK 8.1 and MDT 2013 - but have not used either yet - have only played with SCCM 2012 R2.

Short of the long if you want to stick with SCCM and not get involved with MDT right now because you have a deadline then I'll have to see your smsts log. Depending when the TS fails you can find it in one of the following 4 places:

I will get the logs for you in the next 24 hours hopefully !

Before your hard drive is formatted and partitioned (Press F8)
X:\windows\temp\smstslog\
After your hard drive is partitioned formatted (F8)
X:\smstslog\ and then is in C:\_SMSTaskSequence\logs\smstslog\
Within Windows before the SCCM agent is installed:
C:\_SMSTaskSequence\logs\smstslog\
Within Windows after the SCCM agent installed:
C:\windows\system32\ccm\logs\smstslog\
it just goes to show that i am not the only one who gets issues with this -
an expert on this johan a.
One driver messed his whole install.
What I also want to know is whether it's worth using the hp softpaq download manager?
Basically an app that downloads all relevant drivers which i presume downloads onto your sccm or mdt server..
This i've also found which also cuts along story short
Do you use apply Drivers or Driver Packages?
Any input regarding the above would be really appreciated.
THANKS !

hi the following guides will help you get MDT working with Configuration Manager if you follow them step by step

once done, if you want to setup a clean MDT environment for building images then you could use this script to create a standalone environment from scratch and just modify the variables to suit your setup

as regards capturing your master image, either do it in MDT or use capture media in Configuration Manager to capture the wim file, or use a pxe based build and capture task sequence, some links below.

Hi Fred and Niall

My capture via pxe is working fine, the base/golden image was created with win7 64bit no drivers installed, only 1 network card to allow the capture to work back to the config manager server.

I know everyone has told me to use a vm, but again something i am new to - i know i can run hyper v in windows 7/8 and and create vms there, but i am trying to do it in a "logical" physical way to understand what i've done in my lab enviroment so I can see it all logically and physically "attached".

I appreciate vms are the way ahead but.. for speed and time constraints i've had to go with the physical route, also to add I keep getting sidetracked from this particular scenario due to manpower circumstances beyond my control - I won't bore you with the details !

Niall fully comfortably/understand these parts and have got my pxe working with a capture media boot disk/usb stick.

"capture media in Configuration Manager to capture the wim file, or use a pxe based build and capture task sequence, some links below.

so that leaves me with learning and trying ...

I have already installed /integrated MDT 2013 into SCCM 2012 R2 just not played with it as keep getting sidetracked !

So now I should listen to you (Niall and Fred!) and try parts 17 and 18.

Fred and Nial can I ask both of you a question...

If everything is up and runing as I say it is, and I have correct tested drivers imported, and lets say for arguments sake I can't get it

"finished" off how long would either of you expect a true SCCM expert/consultant to finish this task off if pxe boot, capture is working, and sccm config manager clients are deploying fine? it seems I have the "crux" of it done and this is the final hurdle which has been the "holy grail"

I am just asking due to time constraints.

I will certainly try myself as it will be more rewarding as I am not familiar with powershell, but I have edited .bat files ages ago.

Also what do either of you think of Johan's task sequences ( I know Johan has legendary knowledge of SCCM etc)- is this also a good "template" for me to reference - obviously removing what I don't need -

http://www.deploymen...gr-2012-R2.aspx

Thank you both for going above and beyond in trying to help me - it is sincerely appreciated. :rolleyes: !!!

1st and foremost you're absolutely welcome. 2nd, if all you need for the time being is an image in wim format than forget about combining ConfigMgr and MDT. You honestly don't need to combine them at this point. SCCM is your deployment and management tool. MDT is the imaging tool. Hell, you don't really need either of them to be honest. :)

For now let's take a look at the logs and see why the TS is failing.

Hi Fred,

here's the log file, now it is huge so I will post the first paragraph and the last2 paragraphs... don't know if i can post entire log.txt files/attach them here?

<![LOG[LOGGING: Finalize process ID set to 836]LOG]!><time="14:46:43.885+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSBootShell" context="" type="1" thread="840" file="tslogging.cpp:1495">
<![LOG[==============================[ TSBootShell.exe ]==============================]LOG]!><time="14:46:43.885+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSBootShell" context="" type="1" thread="840" file="bootshell.cpp:1055">
<![LOG[succeeded loading resource DLL 'X:\sms\bin\x64\1033\TSRES.DLL']LOG]!><time="14:46:43.885+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSBootShell" context="" type="1" thread="840" file="util.cpp:964">
<![LOG[Debug shell is enabled]LOG]!><time="14:46:43.885+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSBootShell" context="" type="1" thread="840" file="bootshell.cpp:1066">
<![LOG[Waiting for PNP initialization...]LOG]!><time="14:46:43.901+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSBootShell" context="" type="1" thread="844" file="bootshell.cpp:60">
<![LOG[RAM Disk Boot Path: MULTI(0)DISK(0)RDISK(0)PARTITION(1)\SOURCES\BOOT.WIM]LOG]!><time="14:46:43.901+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSBootShell" context="" type="1" thread="844" file="configpath.cpp:302">
<![LOG[WinPE boot path: D:\SOURCES\BOOT.WIM]LOG]!><time="14:46:43.901+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSBootShell" context="" type="1" thread="844" file="configpath.cpp:327">
<![LOG[booted from removable device]LOG]!><time="14:46:43.901+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSBootShell" context="" type="1" thread="844" file="configpath.cpp:357">
<![LOG[Found config path D:\]LOG]!><time="14:46:43.901+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSBootShell" context="" type="1" thread="844" file="bootshell.cpp:548">
<![LOG[booting from removable media, not restoring bootloaders on hard drive]LOG]!><time="14:46:43.901+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSBootShell" context="" type="1" thread="844" file="bootshell.cpp:582">
<![LOG[D:\WinPE does not exist.]LOG]!><time="14:46:44.151+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSBootShell" context="" type="1" thread="844" file="bootshell.cpp:599">
<![LOG[D:\_SmsTsWinPE\WinPE does not exist.]LOG]!><time="14:46:44.151+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSBootShell" context="" type="1" thread="844" file="bootshell.cpp:613">
<![LOG[Executing command line: wpeinit.exe -winpe]LOG]!><time="14:46:44.151+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSBootShell" context="" type="1" thread="844" file="bootshell.cpp:860">
<![LOG[The command completed successfully.]LOG]!><time="14:46:51.225+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSBootShell" context="" type="1" thread="844" file="bootshell.cpp:942">
<![LOG[starting DNS client service.]LOG]!><time="14:46:51.225+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSBootShell" context="" type="1" thread="844" file="bootshell.cpp:666">
<![LOG[Executing command line: X:\sms\bin\x64\TsmBootstrap.exe /env:WinPE /configpath:D:\]LOG]!><time="14:46:51.731+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSBootShell" context="" type="1" thread="844" file="bootshell.cpp:860">
<![LOG[The command completed successfully.]LOG]!><time="14:46:51.731+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSBootShell" context="" type="1" thread="844" file="bootshell.cpp:942">
<![LOG[==============================[ TSMBootStrap.exe ]==="

Last 2 paragraphs where it fails

"omponent="TSManager" context="" type="1" thread="756" file="instruction.cxx:751">
<![LOG[Expand a string: WinPE]LOG]!><time="14:47:46.820+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSManager" context="" type="0" thread="756" file="executionenv.cxx:782">
<![LOG[Executing command line: OSDApplyOS.exe /image:01000035,%OSDImageIndex% /target:%system% /runfromnet:False]LOG]!><time="14:47:46.820+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSManager" context="" type="1" thread="756" file="commandline.cpp:827">
<![LOG[Command line for extension .exe is "%1" %*]LOG]!><time="14:47:46.836+480" date="10-29-2014" component="ApplyOperatingSystem" context="" type="0" thread="1100" file="commandline.cpp:228">
<![LOG[set command line: "OSDApplyOS.exe" /image:01000035,2 /target:%system% /runfromnet:False]LOG]!><time="14:47:46.836+480" date="10-29-2014" component="ApplyOperatingSystem" context="" type="0" thread="1100" file="commandline.cpp:731">
<![LOG[((g_Target.Disk > 0) || (arg == L"0")) && (g_Target.Partition >= c_MinPartition), HRESULT=80070057 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\client\osdeployment\applyos\applyos.cpp,254)]LOG]!><time="14:47:46.836+480" date="10-29-2014" component="ApplyOperatingSystem" context="" type="0" thread="1100" file="applyos.cpp:254">
<![LOG[The /target parameter specifies an invalid target location.]LOG]!><time="14:47:46.836+480" date="10-29-2014" component="ApplyOperatingSystem" context="" type="3" thread="1100" file="applyos.cpp:254">
<![LOG[ParseCommandLine(), HRESULT=80070057 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\client\osdeployment\applyos\applyos.cpp,429)]LOG]!><time="14:47:46.836+480" date="10-29-2014" component="ApplyOperatingSystem" context="" type="0" thread="1100" file="applyos.cpp:429">
<![LOG[Process completed with exit code 2147942487]LOG]!><time="14:47:46.836+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSManager" context="" type="1" thread="756" file="commandline.cpp:1123">
<![LOG[!--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------!]LOG]!><time="14:47:46.836+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSManager" context="" type="1" thread="756" file="instruction.cxx:804">
<![LOG[Failed to run the action: Apply Operating System. This is usually caused by a problem with the program. Please check the Microsoft Knowledge Base to determine if this is a known issue or contact Microsoft Support Services for further assistance.
The parameter is incorrect. (Error: 80070057; Source: Windows)]LOG]!><time="14:47:46.836+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSManager" context="" type="3" thread="756" file="instruction.cxx:895">
<![LOG[Do not send status message in full media case]LOG]!><time="14:47:46.836+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSManager" context="" type="1" thread="756" file="utils.cpp:5763">
<![LOG[set a global environment variable _SMSTSLastActionRetCode=-2147024809]LOG]!><time="14:47:46.836+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSManager" context="" type="0" thread="756" file="executionenv.cxx:668">
<![LOG[set a global environment variable _SMSTSLastActionSucceeded=false]LOG]!><time="14:47:46.836+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSManager" context="" type="0" thread="756" file="executionenv.cxx:668">
<![LOG[Clear local default environment]LOG]!><time="14:47:46.836+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSManager" context="" type="0" thread="756" file="executionenv.cxx:807">
<![LOG[Let the parent group (Install Operating System) decides whether to continue execution]LOG]!><time="14:47:46.836+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSManager" context="" type="0" thread="756" file="instruction.cxx:1004">
<![LOG[The execution of the group (Install Operating System) has failed and the execution has been aborted. An action failed.
Operation aborted (Error: 80004004; Source: Windows)]LOG]!><time="14:47:46.836+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSManager" context="" type="3" thread="756" file="instruction.cxx:217">
<![LOG[Failed to run the last action: Apply Operating System. Execution of task sequence failed.
The parameter is incorrect. (Error: 80070057; Source: Windows)]LOG]!><time="14:47:46.836+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSManager" context="" type="3" thread="756" file="engine.cxx:213">
<![LOG[Do not send status message in full media case]LOG]!><time="14:47:46.836+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSManager" context="" type="1" thread="756" file="utils.cpp:5763">
<![LOG[Executing command line: X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /k]LOG]!><time="14:47:54.766+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSBootShell" context="" type="1" thread="840" file="bootshell.cpp:860">
<![LOG[The command completed successfully.]LOG]!><time="14:47:54.766+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSBootShell" context="" type="1" thread="840" file="bootshell.cpp:942">
<![LOG[successfully launched command shell.]LOG]!><time="14:47:54.766+480" date="10-29-2014" component="TSBootShell" context="" type="1" thread="840" file="bootshell.cpp:432">
"

So edited bulletpoints again -

The usb stick works for HP Laptops - hp 4530 and hp4540 aswell and installs some packages aswell. – not all of the drivers install but the majority work

It will not work with a hp prodesk 400g1 or hp prodesk 600 g1.

This is to deploy windows 7 64 bit.

The pxe environment works, and so does the capturing a reference machine via network also too.

Niall I will work through these exercises asap ... do appreciate the input.