TheWes

Installing Windows Intune as Part of Task Sequence

Hello All,

I have a peculiar problem. I am using SCCM 2012 to create a UDI task sequence that will install Windows 7 and 8. We have a group of laptops that need the Windows Intune client as opposed to the SCCM client. Whenever I try to insert it into the task sequence, I get an error in the logs that says the two clients cannot coexist on one PC. I have tried putting in a step that will uninstall the SCCM client, but I get an error on that also. Has anyone had success doing this? Thanks!

not supported as you can imagine, however why not just deploy the image from MDT and install the intune client that way ?

or as a longshot

use the smstspostaction variable to run a script which uninstalls the ccm client and then installs the intune client.

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply. The goal of the project is to only use SCCM with two task sequences, one for Win7 and one for Win8. We use the UDI to make all of our customizations. We want it to be completely standardized for all of our clients.

I will try the postaction variable. Thanks!

Sure, no problem. When trying to install Intune though a TS, you get a permission error in the event log. Apparently you have to open the command prompt as administrator before installing. I wrote a .bat file that installs Intune, then wrote a powershell script that runs the .bat file as the administrator. So, in the postaction variable line, I just run the powershell script and it takes care of the rest. It does not, however, pause the task sequence. It will run when Windows boots up.

Another note, I mounted the WIM with DISM and copied all of the installation files,.bat file, and powershell script to a temp directory on the C: drive of the image. It simplified matters.