mariorami

Software Packages Not Installing on Task Sequences After R2 Upgrade

Hello,

I am running into an Issue with software distribution on task sequences after upgrading to Configmgr 2012 from SP1 to R2

I have a single site with two DPs that were upgraded to Configmgr2012 R2 and then with CU3

The upgrade process ran smoothly but now I am having an issue with software packages in task sequences. Ever since after the upgrade, none of the software packages,with the exception of the Configmgr client, are getting deployed on a TS. I looked at the DPs and the packages content has been distributed. When imaging computers, task sequences successfully run go up to the OS Installation and the configmgr client tasks. What is interesting is the the packages are available on the Software Center, even on the recently imaged computers (the ones that didn't get the packages installed during he TS).

I can add more information from the TS logs but first wanted to see if anybody has experienced similar issues after the upgrade and how you figured the problem out.

Thanks for looking.

Mariorami.

Ok,

After banging my head for a few days with that issue i saw the light at the end of the tunnel ( an not the train) today.

Long story short, the culprit was the boot image. I upgraded to 6.3 and everything in my TSs is working as it should.

Here are the details.

To recall what was my issue, after upgrading SCCM from SP1 to R2, none of the software packages were getting installed in a Task sequence. A TS runs up to the installation of the SCCM agent and then it quits.

Looking at the log file in C:\Windows\System32\ccm\logs\smstslog I found the following errors:

Resuming Task Sequence in Full OS TSMBootstrap

Failed to get the environment key. TSMBootstrap

Failed to resume task sequence (0x800700EA).

Exiting with return code 0x800700EA TSMBootstrap

Earlier i mentioned that my boot images did not get updated as part of the site upgraded, so i went and updated them to version 6.3 and after making sure it got deployed in a TS to make it available through PXE, my problem was gone.

this post helped me tremendously to realized that the boot image was the issue:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a793071d-1a3b-4b68-b6de-6d8c1a1fda0f/failed-to-get-the-environment-key-smstslog?forum=configmanagerosd

Thank you Peter and Iroqouiz for stopping around to help.

Mario.