haribo48

Moving SCCM 2012 from OS drive to dedicated Raid 10 Volume

Hi There,

Looking for a bit of advice, relatively new to SCCM 2012 but have experience looking after SCCM 2007 R3.

I have inherited a SCCM 2012 R2 configuration manager system which has no CAS, one primary site server (SQL is on box on a dedicated RAID 10 volume) and 6 DP's. All servers are running Windows Server 2012.

The issue, the installation of configuration manager on the primary site server has been installed onto the OS volume, it's a RAID 5 volume and the system seems to be running fine with about 150GB free space, though it's still in testing and only has about 10 clients reporting back.

The server has enough bays free to setup a dedicated raid 10 volume for configuration manager to reside. From reading the TechNet articles for planning a primary site server it mentions for best performance use Raid 10 for the configuration manager install and SQL.

I guess what I'm looking for are options, the system is still in testing no live machines have been migrated over but most of the applications have been created and the system from what I can see is a couple of weeks away from being ready to go live.

I guess I'd like to know

1. Will there be a negative impact in terms of performance, scalability (we have 15k clients), resilience etc and would this justify starting over again i.e. wipe the box and a total reinstall - a last resort I hope!

2. It seems madness to me it's been installed on the OS volume, so can it be moved either by doing a back up and restore using config manager once a Raid 10 volume is created on the same primary site server box or could we purchase a new server and use the migration wizard to migrate the installation over and configure it to use the correct volumes.

3. Create a secondary site on a new box with the correct installation on raid volumes and look to promote and replace the current primary site server with this new box

4. Are there any other options that I'm not considering, has anyone any experience of config manager 2012 being installed on the OS volume and suffered negative effects, or has anyone tried to move config manager install off the OS volume? If there's any guides or documentation someone could share I'd be grateful.

I would welcome any advice and info about this as soon as possible as I'm confident a decision will need to be made fairly quickly

Thank you in advance, please let me know if you need more information

Regards

I have seen a lot of sites with configuration manager installed to the OS drive and not had any specific issues. IIS logs sometimes tend to take up lots of space but 150 free GB is a lot of space for a windows volume.

You could move the content library to another drive, there is a tool that lets you do this.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/neilp/archive/2013/01/08/configuration-manager-2012-sp1-content-library-transfer.aspx

Hi Ath3na

Thanks for the reply much appreciated, the primary site server doesn't have the DP role so I don't need to be concerned about moving the content library and shouldn't need to add a DP role anytime soon

In my experience it's always been beneficial to install SCCM to a separate dedicated raid volume and I've reviewed the TechNet post for disk configuration http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/hh846235.aspx and it mentions for configuration manager and database files use separate RAID 10 volumes for best performance.

Thanks Garth, appreciate the reply

I've seen that it's not best practice to install config mgr 2012 onto the OS drive and not something I'd have chosen myself but what i also haven't seen is anything to say if it will cause us problems (performance, redundancy etc) in the future that would warrant us doing a full re-install - most applications have been ready.

Thanks in advance

You will never find anything definitive for CM12 but the issue will all be related to the OS.

But if you run the OS drive out of space which can be easy to do with CM12, the whole server will stop working.

CM12 and the OS will be trying to use the same IOPS for things like the swap file, accessing the OS DLLs, and CM12 for the inboxes and SQL.

IMO 150 GB of disk is not a lot of space and is begging for trouble.