DStanley1809

Folder Redirection - Files Missing

Question

We've recently set up folder redirection for our user's My Documents libraries. This was done as part of an upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7. The My Documents libraries are being redirected to the locations of the users' Home Drives, as this is where all their files are saved.

We're having an issue where when they log in their files are going missing. When they go missing they are replaced with three folders, one for Music, Videos and Pictures.

On the Target tab the GPO is set to "Advanced - Specify locations for various user groups"

The locations are all \\server.domain\Share$\%username%\My Documents. There are 7 of these entries, each pointing to a different Share$. Each of these are applied to a different Security Group.

On the Settings tab the following options are set:

1. Grant user exclusive rights to Documents -UNTICKED as in testing this prevented us (the admins) from being able to access the files
  2. Move the contents of Documents to the new location -TICKED as the files are already in the location we are redirecting to
  3. Also apply redirection policy to Windows 2000, Windows 2000 Server, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 operating system - TICKED
  4. Policy Removal - Leave the folder in the new location when policy is removed

During testing I noticed that the Documents library was showing 2 locations - the one I am redirecting to and a local one. To prevent the users from accidentally saving their files locally I have added a log on script to my GPO that removes the local locations from the libraries, using SHLIB:

\\DOMAIN NAME\SYSVOL\DOMAIN NAME\Policies\{40195655-F4EA-4DF0-A2C2-2952736A384D}\SHLIB\shlib.exe remove "%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Documents.library-ms" "%public%\Documents". This is repeated for the Music, Videos and Pictures libraries.

In the Folder Redirection section of the GPO the Mucis, Videos and Pictures libraries are set to "Follow the Documents folder".

When this issue started to become known we tried this fix: http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2013/03/disappearing-folder-redirection-issues-with-windows-7/

We have the Hotfix KB2799904 installing via SCCM and we have enabled "Verify old and new Folder Redirection targets point to the same share before redirecting" under Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer

It's been a couple of days now and the issue still persists after applying this "fix".

Luckily we have a great back up solution in place so we're able to get our users' files back but we'd really like to get to the bottom of this.

Does anyone have any ideas on where to look next?

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet