chrischambers

SCCM PXE client rebooting after preparing network connections

Question

I am hitting my head ageist a wall and I can’t work out why

When I boot my PXE client I am getting to the flash screen, and I am getting a IP Address, but then my machine is rebooting.

My domain layout is

Win 8 DC Controller with DNS running

FIX IP

DNS ref one is point to itself

DNS ref two is point to the Router

Win 8 Member server with SCCM, PXE, WDS, WCUS

FIX IP

DNS ref one is point to the DNS Server

DNS ref two is point to the Router

My DHCP is on my router. with is at 192.168.0.1. and I have a DHCP range of 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.150.

I have imported the drivers for a Dell 6220 laptop

I also import the windows WIM File and Operating system into the SCCM, and deploy them all to the DP

I have pasted in the SMS Trace log, which I am confused about and would like some advice on how I can get my laptop to build from my SCCM.

post-26660-0-03529100-1417350632_thumb.jpg

A VM should boot without drivers, already getting an IP proves that you have already got it to the first stage, but again when preparing network connections and your reboot happens is A DNS issue in your case, that been the client is confused and doesn't know where the management point/SCCM server is, your IPCONFIG results shows this and pinging the FQDN with no response proves it also.

• Your DC server's NIC primary DNS entry should be itself and no secondary entry should be in there not unless you have a multi site environment and you can put in the IP of a remote DC in the secondary NIC DNS field. Your SCCM server DNS entry should point to your DC also and nothing else. The GW for both servers should be your router IP address.

• In DHCP either within router setup scenario or server DHCP setup scenario your DNS should point to your DC IP Address so that any DHCP client that receives a lease from the scope will know where to resolve for internal name resolution. On your internal DNS server setup forwarders in the properties of the DNS server to point to your ISP public DNS IP addresses or simply add googles 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, so that clients looking to resolve external outside your network knows what servers they need to go to, but recommended to use your ISPs. You should concentrate on getting your internal resolution working correctly first as clients getting external access is nothing to do with your issue.

If you get it setup and DNS is resolving correctly to your internal DNS/DC I think you should not have a problem not unless your management point is in a critical state presently, you have checked the health of all site components within your SCCM console?

Thanks Rocket man,

the Procedure you had posted is the same procedure I followed. what is confusing me at the moment is why the Netgear DHCP "DNS Referance " is pointing to itself and not the DC "DNS" Server after I had place the right referance in the DNS path.

ps, the early DNS referances 192.168.4.100 and 192.168.8.100 were typo's the IP Range should have been 194.168.*.*

All routers/modems are different....some allow you to edit DNS both public and internal for DHCP clients, have no experience with Virgin modems, but TBH if it doesnt allow you to change them just get another modem that allows you to change these settings and you can still hook it up to Virgins settings for internet access.

OR You could just create an internal network using virtual switch manager in Hyper-V and add all your testing systems to it and leave out the modem, because you only need this for your GW external internet access if you use the server for DHCP instead, this way will defo tell you if it is indeed DNS that is your problem by ruling out the modem all-together.

OR a long way around it would be to build your test client from CD/USB add to domain(but more than likely wont not unless you manually specify the DNS to your DC) and install the SCCM client. Assign a statically assigned address to the client machine and also add static DNS to that of your DC as mentioned.

Then add your new provisioned client to a SCCM collection. Create a TS that captures the network settings and deploy out to the collection to the live machine without PXE. I think it should image fine as it will capture the static settings previously assigned that has DNS set in it, but this a long way around it. Go with getting a modem that allows you to change the settings.

@RocketMan

I have again, tryed to get my Routers DHCP to point to my DNS and I even turned to the VM Workstation DHCP. but for some reason, the DNS is still pointing to the GW and not the DNS,

I think I will need to scrap vmware workstation and rebuild with esxi at some point.

thanks for your help, I will carry on with my documenation, and testing but will have to look at the TS / DNS issue at work next year.