anyweb

Deploy Windows 7

Question

Step 1. Advertise the Task Sequence

In the Operating System Deployment node, click on Task Sequences and right click on the Task Sequence we just created, choose Advertise

advertise.jpg

when the General screen comes up, choose the settings as below in the screenshot, you can browse to a collection called Deploy 7 (you should have created this collection beforehand).

deploy 7 collection.jpg

Schedule

Set your schedule depending on whether you are in a Lab or Production Environment.

For a Lab Environment

Make the Task Sequence mandatory by clicking on the yellow star and select As soon as possible.

Select ignore maintenance windows when runing program and allow system restart, set the program rerun behaviour to always rerun program so that we can rerun the task sequence over and over as we require for testing.

for a lab env.jpg

For a Production Environment

In a Production environment set the advertisement from Mandatory to Optional, this gives us less risk of an accidental deployment but also introduces the possibilty of choice.

for a prod env.jpg

if you want to remove choice then keep the advertisement mandatory but change the program rerun behaviour to never rerun (see below screenshot).

never rerun.jpg

select the following Distribution Point options

dp.jpg

show the task sequence progress

show the task sequence progress.jpg

and click next, next, next and close.

at this point you can right click on the Deploy 7 collection, choose properties and you'll see our new Task Sequence is advertised to that collection

advertisement.jpg

Step 2. Last Actions

All you have to do now is Add systems to the Deploy 7 collection and pxe boot them, then they will get imaged with our pre-captured Deploy 7 Enterprise X64 RTM image.

You can do this in many ways, either by Direct Membership, Computer Association, AD groups membership....

job done !

Thank You. i was able to find it and attached is the log.

Requesting you to help me on the same. I'm unable to findout the issue.

Seems that an incorrect image is trying to be applied during the "Apply Operating System Image" task. At the "Apply Operating System Image" task, an image that contains a Windows OS needs to be selected. If a data image is selected instead, the errors will occur.

How are you doing the this step in applying Operating system.

Image does not contain OS architecture information. Unable to verify that the OS will be compatable with the target machine.<BR>Unable to find a Windows system root at C:\. Element not found. (Error: 80070490; Source: Windows)<BR>Failed to find the system root for the applied OS.  Element not found. (Error: 80070490; Source: Windows)

check out this link for more information http://support.micro....com/kb/2023447

Seems that an incorrect image is trying to be applied during the "Apply Operating System Image" task. At the "Apply Operating System Image" task, an image that contains a Windows OS needs to be selected. If a data image is selected instead, the errors will occur.

How are you doing the this step in applying Operating system.

Image does not contain OS architecture information. Unable to verify that the OS will be compatable with the target machine.<BR>Unable to find a Windows system root at C:\. Element not found. (Error: 80070490; Source: Windows)<BR>Failed to find the system root for the applied OS.  Element not found. (Error: 80070490; Source: Windows)

check out this link for more information http://support.micro....com/kb/2023447

Hi,

i have captured a image from a refrence machine. I have the .wim file of the image. I had to save the image in the local hard disk but in different partition as capture to the network share didn't work.

I have image's in my task sequence which say 1-1 2-2 3-3. I'm not sure which one is the right image. How will i be able to find it. currently i have 2-2 selected in my task sequence.

Hi,

i have captured a image from a refrence machine. I have the .wim file of the image. I had to save the image in the local hard disk but in different partition as capture to the network share didn't work.

I have image's in my task sequence which say 1-1 2-2 3-3. I'm not sure which one is the right image. How will i be able to find it. currently i have 2-2 selected in my task sequence.

Another post avilable from you on http://www.windows-n...-sccm-2007-sp2/ .seems to be the same post on this issue.

You can verify this Under the option "Select image you want to view:", switch between the different images (i.e., "1-1" or "2-2") that are contained in the WIM file. Determine which image, i.e. 1-1 or 2-2, contains the Windows installation. The image that contains the Windows installation will have information next to the fields "OS version", "Architecture", "HAL Type", and "Description". The non-Windows data image will not have anything next to these fields.

Select Images.jpg

I have a very simple and quick question...I have an "upgrade" image that I have developed that captures the user state and then migrates from Windows XP to Windows 7 and then restores the state. Since we are capturing the state and not performing a bare-metal deplopyment...does the machine have to be logged on for the advertisement to kick off the upgrade. The client machine does have the SCCM client installed.

Thanks for any tips,

Anthony