anyweb

Deploy Windows 7

Question

Step 1. Advertise the Task Sequence

In the Operating System Deployment node, click on Task Sequences and right click on the Task Sequence we just created, choose Advertise

advertise.jpg

when the General screen comes up, choose the settings as below in the screenshot, you can browse to a collection called Deploy 7 (you should have created this collection beforehand).

deploy 7 collection.jpg

Schedule

Set your schedule depending on whether you are in a Lab or Production Environment.

For a Lab Environment

Make the Task Sequence mandatory by clicking on the yellow star and select As soon as possible.

Select ignore maintenance windows when runing program and allow system restart, set the program rerun behaviour to always rerun program so that we can rerun the task sequence over and over as we require for testing.

for a lab env.jpg

For a Production Environment

In a Production environment set the advertisement from Mandatory to Optional, this gives us less risk of an accidental deployment but also introduces the possibilty of choice.

for a prod env.jpg

if you want to remove choice then keep the advertisement mandatory but change the program rerun behaviour to never rerun (see below screenshot).

never rerun.jpg

select the following Distribution Point options

dp.jpg

show the task sequence progress

show the task sequence progress.jpg

and click next, next, next and close.

at this point you can right click on the Deploy 7 collection, choose properties and you'll see our new Task Sequence is advertised to that collection

advertisement.jpg

Step 2. Last Actions

All you have to do now is Add systems to the Deploy 7 collection and pxe boot them, then they will get imaged with our pre-captured Deploy 7 Enterprise X64 RTM image.

You can do this in many ways, either by Direct Membership, Computer Association, AD groups membership....

job done !

Hi, this is my first post here, happy New Year! Happy OSD and Green Status!

Have a question regarding the Windows7 OSD. I captured Win7 x86 without any problems using that post:

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1543-how-can-i-capture-windows-7/

But have a problem with OSD. I did the following steps:

1. I created new Collection (Windows7 OSD).

2. I added captured Win7 image to the OS Images, added Distribution Point and updated DP. The package status is installed.

3. I created Task Sequence

4. I advertised TS and linked TS with Windows7 OSD collection

5. I imported computer to the Windows7 OSD collection

6. Computer booted up from PXE and loaded WINPE. There was a first message 'Windows is starting up', after that 'Preparing network connections', but it popped up for 0,5 seconds, and machine rebooted.

7. On the next attempt I hit F8, in the CMD box I checked my IP settings - everything looks properly, I got an IP address from DHCP, I could ping sccm server using fqdn.

It's strange, because I was able to capture the image using same x86 boot image.

What else I shuld check? I will be grateful for any help!

Hi,

I am deploying the WIndows Embedded Standard 7 which is a member of domain and discovered in SCCM 2007 SP2 R2 server, using the PXE method described in this article. It deploys properly with PXE method .Everything works fine.

Now I would like to deploy the same OS which I captured & deployed in PXE method using another method described in article http://technet.micro...y/bb680730.aspx. Once I advertise the task sequence, client gets an advertisement on the system tray. AT this time client is logged in with domain administrator account. My SCCM server & AD all are same server. When i click on Run this task sequence, it starts excuting TS and i am getting a windows related to "Restart in WInPE" sub task at client OS side & but after 1 minute (in this "Restart in Windows PE" subtask window itself), it gives a TS error which is related to not able to access network .Hence client does not restart in to WinPE and does not proceed to remaing tasks in the task sequence.I went through the SMSTS.log, the package ID (XPE0008E) for which it is giving an error refers to boot image which i created and i am able to access this image location from client using \\<computername> share folder.

Checking or unchecking the option "Make this task sequence avaialble to boot media and PXE" while advertising does not make any differance.

I am attaching the SMTS.log for your referance. So what could be the problem?

smsts_28_09_11_OSDwithoutPXE.log

Hi Folks i am getting this error. i am attaching logs file.

Can anybody please help me get past this ?

Thank you

** If you need anything else please let me know.

Failed to Run Task Sequence

An error occured while starting the task sequence (0x80070032).

For more information, please contact ....

http://pastebin.com/x3MDCxnZ

http://pastebin.com/smaMxL61

Hi,

I am absolutely up to my wits with getting SCCM 2007 to capture windows 7 image for deployment. I followed your guide on the forum which worked until the point where Winpe says preparing network connection and then it restarts and that is the end of it. I have added hyper v network driver to the boot image and still the problem is the same.

I am using a hyper-v environment for this, I have also checked out various resources on the net and just can't resolve this. I have spent 8 whole days and still I can't get past this point. Please help!! what do I need to do.

I have also tried using vista, the problem is the same, not sure if it's because I am using hyper -v, I am so frustrated it's unbelievable

I have attached the snapshot of what things looks like before the error. Not sure if it is Network driver, but I have selected the Legacy Network Adapter for the VM in Hyper V and still no joy.

During the winpe boot process, I did press F8 and got eh X: drive but can't locate the SMSTS.Log file in order to paste the content in here. I suppose it's because the TS had not fully executed.

Please Help anyone!!!!

snapshot.rtf

Hi,

I am absolutely up to my wits with getting SCCM 2007 to capture windows 7 image for deployment. I followed your guide on the forum which worked until the point where Winpe says preparing network connection and then it restarts and that is the end of it. I have added hyper v network driver to the boot image and still the problem is the same.

I am using a hyper-v environment for this, I have also checked out various resources on the net and just can't resolve this. I have spent 8 whole days and still I can't get past this point. Please help!! what do I need to do.

I have also tried using vista, the problem is the same, not sure if it's because I am using hyper -v, I am so frustrated it's unbelievable

I have attached the snapshot of what things looks like before the error. Not sure if it is Network driver, but I have selected the Legacy Network Adapter for the VM in Hyper V and still no joy.

During the winpe boot process, I did press F8 and got eh X: drive but can't locate the SMSTS.Log file in order to paste the content in here. I suppose it's because the TS had not fully executed.

Please Help anyone!!!!

Hi

Great directions on the site, thanks. I have a question. I added the Windows 7 license key because we use MAK licenses and at first it was authenticating the licenses just fine, but lately it quit. Do you know why it might be doing this, and/or how to fix it? Thanks.

Hi all,

I'm lost here and maybe just looking to do something not available. I'm running SCCM 2012 and have all my clients installed on our XP workstations. I have a perfect Win 7 image on my SCCM server. I want to deploy it to all my workstations based on the collections they are in (location) using the Software Center (as opposed to PXE boot). I have the task sequence set up but when I launch it in Software Center I get an error that states "the software could not be found on any servers at this time".

Can someone please guide me to a step by step on how to install an OS this way? Is it even possible?

Thanks in advance!