anyweb

Deploy Windows 7

Question

Step 1. Advertise the Task Sequence

In the Operating System Deployment node, click on Task Sequences and right click on the Task Sequence we just created, choose Advertise

advertise.jpg

when the General screen comes up, choose the settings as below in the screenshot, you can browse to a collection called Deploy 7 (you should have created this collection beforehand).

deploy 7 collection.jpg

Schedule

Set your schedule depending on whether you are in a Lab or Production Environment.

For a Lab Environment

Make the Task Sequence mandatory by clicking on the yellow star and select As soon as possible.

Select ignore maintenance windows when runing program and allow system restart, set the program rerun behaviour to always rerun program so that we can rerun the task sequence over and over as we require for testing.

for a lab env.jpg

For a Production Environment

In a Production environment set the advertisement from Mandatory to Optional, this gives us less risk of an accidental deployment but also introduces the possibilty of choice.

for a prod env.jpg

if you want to remove choice then keep the advertisement mandatory but change the program rerun behaviour to never rerun (see below screenshot).

never rerun.jpg

select the following Distribution Point options

dp.jpg

show the task sequence progress

show the task sequence progress.jpg

and click next, next, next and close.

at this point you can right click on the Deploy 7 collection, choose properties and you'll see our new Task Sequence is advertised to that collection

advertisement.jpg

Step 2. Last Actions

All you have to do now is Add systems to the Deploy 7 collection and pxe boot them, then they will get imaged with our pre-captured Deploy 7 Enterprise X64 RTM image.

You can do this in many ways, either by Direct Membership, Computer Association, AD groups membership....

job done !

OK, so today i tried the entire step-by-step guide and this went smoothly. I advertised to my "Test machine". It got as far as Partitioning the disk where it says "Formatting Volume E". It completes the format (which took extremely long) then comes up with the ffg error 0x80004005. What could be the cause of this?? thanks

you can speed up the format by editing the task sequence and putting a checkmark in 'quick format' in the Partition Disk 0 section.

I tried this for a fresh deployment of a new system, however after booting into WinPE it would exit with no error code. Instead it says there's no Task Sequence available for this machine.

I then removed the checkmark and everything worked perfectly.

This was with a virtual machine on Hyper-V.

Get this error when trying to deploy WIndows 7, but WIndows XP deployment Works:

Failed to connect to "\\XXX\SMSPXEIMAGES$\SMSPKG\POC00016" (86) TSPxe 12.10.2009 15:51:08 1400 (0x0578)

!slistSMBPaths.empty(), HRESULT=80040103 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\framework\tscore\resolvesource.cpp,2163) TSPxe 12.10.2009 15:51:08 1400 (0x0578)

FALSE, HRESULT=80040103 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\framework\tscore\tspolicy.cpp,1635) TSPxe 12.10.2009 15:51:08 1400 (0x0578)

Content location request for POC00016:28 failed. (Code 0x80040103) TSPxe 12.10.2009 15:51:08 1400 (0x0578)

pTSPolicyManager->GetContentLocations( m_sPackageID, m_lSourceVersion, m_dwContentSourceFlags, slistContentLocations, slistHttpContentLocations, slistMulticastContentLocations, m_dwContentPackageFlags ), HRESULT=80040103 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\framework\tscore\tspolicy.cpp,2330) TSPxe 12.10.2009 15:51:08 1400 (0x0578)

(*iTSReference)->Resolve( pTSPolicyManager, dwResolveFlags ), HRESULT=80040103 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\framework\tscore\tspolicy.cpp,2862) TSPxe 12.10.2009 15:51:08 1400 (0x0578)

m_pSelectedTaskSequence->Resolve( m_pPolicyManager, TS::Policy::TaskSequence::ResolvePolicy | TS::Policy::TaskSequence::ResolveSource, fpCallbackProc, pv, hCancelEvent), HRESULT=80040103 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\tasksequence\tsmbootstrap\tsmediawizardcontrol.cpp,1208) TSPxe 12.10.2009 15:51:08 1400 (0x0578)

Failed to resolve selected task sequence dependencies. Code(0x80040103) TSPxe 12.10.2009 15:51:08 1400 (0x0578)

hrReturn, HRESULT=80040103 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\tasksequence\tsmbootstrap\tsmediaresolveprogresspage.cpp,408) TSPxe 12.10.2009 15:51:08 1400 (0x0578)

ThreadToResolveAndExecuteTaskSequence failed. Code(0x80040103) TSPxe 12.10.2009 15:51:08 1400 (0x0578)

IN POC00016 we have the the Windows PE .wim file.

Does anybody know what the problem is??

Thanks.

Jean André

Thanks for the very nice writeup.

I am trying to find out this:

In the Deploy Win 7 collection...how do I include a fresh [bare metal] PC which has no OS?

I guess a bare metal PC can be added using its MAC address. But when I try to add its MAC, SCCM's console does not detect it {I mean it does not appear in the search results} when I go into the collection >> properties.

So how is a bare-metal machine imaged using SCCM?

Quick Question

When the advertisement is created as recommended in here from the Task Sequense, where is the actual avertisement in case I want to go later and modify? I checked were all my advertisemets are normally but is not there and I know there is one becuase it shows in the collection.

Quick Question

When the advertisement is created as recommended in here from the Task Sequense, where is the actual avertisement in case I want to go later and modify? I checked were all my advertisemets are normally but is not there and I know there is one becuase it shows in the collection.

I am currently trying Deploy Windows 7 x64 Operating System Using SCCM 1007 SP2. Initially Laptop was rebooting after booting to WinPE, I checked the issue and found that LAN card Drivers were missing. I have Injected the Drivers Manually and now the Laptop Boots to WinPE and gets a IP, Formats the Hard Drive and Downloads the .wim and after that I see a message saying Applying Operating System and the next statement says Applying operating system to c:\ and when the blue bar completes I get a task sequence error and system reboots in 15 minutes.. I have attached the error message.

I am trying to deploy a operating system on Acer Travelmate 4740.

post-6964-12844511315251_thumb.jpg