alanmreagan

Deploy capture from UEFI Surface Pro 3 to BIOS

Question

Please point me to another topic if this has already been covered. I have always built my reference images from a physical machine and captured using pxe boot and the capture image function of a task sequence on a machine that is sysprepped to capture profile settings of the user executing sysprep. I've never had a problem with this method, even with Windows 8.1, until we purchased a few Surface Pro 3 units. All of our existing HP laptops worked fine with the Windows 8.1 image, but the Surfaces were crashing and problematic with the image. This was true even with the appropriate driver packs and current firmware. I decided to use the Surface as my reference machine to ensure that the image was not problematic with the Surface. My task sequence was already built to detect UEFI or BIOS and partition accordingly. This was working properly with the image captured from BIOS device. Now that I have swapped out the deployed WIM in the same task sequence to the one captured from the Surface, the bootloader freezes very early in the process on a BIOS device. Is there a step I can add in the deployment task sequence to fix the bootloader for BIOS? I'd rather not scrap my existing reference machine and start from scratch. We use KMS licensing, and I still have the reference machine. I assume it can be sysprepped again without issue.

4 answers to this question

I'd suggest you change your method of capturing machines, and how you build your reference images, you should capture the image on a virtual machine and deploy that to your Surface Pro 3, not the other way around,

I'd also suggest you take a look at this five video series and additional Surface Pro 3 related material below I did on deploying the Surface Pro 3, it covers everything so should help you, if not, please ask

with Configuration Manager 2012 R2

with MDT 2013

How can I deploy Windows 8.1 x64 to the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 using MDT 2013 ? http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11479-how-can-i-deploy-windows-81-x64-to-the-microsoft-surface-pro-3-using-mdt-2013/

Updated Powershell script with November drivers for deploying the Surface Pro 3 with MDT 2013 http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11656-updated-powershell-script-with-november-drivers-for-deploying-the-surface-pro-3-with-mdt-2013/