anyweb

Deploy Windows 7 Enterprise

Question

Please note that this guide is designed to get you Deploying Windows 7 with SCCM in a LAB Environment as quickly as possible. This guide is provided as is, if you find any errors please report them in the forums.

In a production environment please consult Technet for best practise, see below links:

Operating System Deployment:

Determine Your Operating System Deployment Method

Operating System Deployment in Configuration Manager

Overview of Operating System Deployment

Configuration:

System Center Configuration Manager 2007

Best Practices:

Configuring Configuration Manager Sites for Best Performance

Checklist for Security Best Practices

Best Practices for Central and Primary Site Hardware and Software Configuration

Best Practices for Operating System Deployment

Step by Step 4 part guide to Deploying Windows 7 Enterprise.

Deploy Windows 7 part 1.

Build and Capture

Part 1 is the longest part of the 4 part guide and covers the steps required to successfully Build and Capture Windows 7 RTM. It was tested successfully on both X86 and X64 Enterprise RTM releases.

Step 1. get the ISO

Step 2. Add Operating System Install Package

Step 3. Create Distribution Point for the Image

Step 4. Update Distribution Point

Step 5. Create the Build and Capture Task Sequence

Step 6. Advertise the Build and Capture Task Sequence

Step 7. Add a system to the Build and Capture 7 collection

Step 8. PXE boot the newly added Windows 7 client

Deploy Windows 7 part 2.

Add the captured WIM file

Step 1. Add the Captured Wim file as an Operating System Image

Step 2. Distribute the Captured WIM file

Deploy Windows 7 part 3.

Create a new Task Sequence

Step 1. Create a new Task Sequence

Deploy Windows 7 part 4.

Advertise the Task Sequence

Step 1. Advertise the Task Sequence

Step 2. Last Actions

enjoy !

cheers

Edited by hybrid
re-saving to fix broken links etc. after upgrade

Hi,

I followed tutorial step by step. All worked fine, and arrived moment to deploy Seven on a VMware machine, it install image and configmgr client, restarts, and I got the following message when it reboots :

Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

0Xc0000001

So apparently it didn't found mass storage drivers...but in seven osd task sequence, I correctly added driver packages corresponding to VMware driver tools; tried different methods (install onloy best match drivers/install all compatible drivers, and consider driver from all categories option selected). I had no problem to deploy the seven capture, dont know why there is a problem here...

Windows Server 2008 SP1 x86

SCCM SP2 R2 (without MDT)

Do you know what could be wrong ? Thanks in advance.

im using SCCM 2007 SP2 R2 and MDT2010 to deploy windows7 ZTI for inplace upgrade for windows XP Pro and Windows Vista SP1.

for inplace upgrade i use normal Task Sequance by SCCM but im always face error while i run it on windows xp after complete scan state for users and start with windows PE.i already check the advertizment status it display succesfully complete for Restart in Windows PE and fail to start Apply Operation System which is the next step.

the seconed problem is for windows vista i use same task without partion and format option and it deploy windows 7 and restore users data but it always format c:\ so how can i prvent format c:\ partion since i use inplace upgrade from vista to windows 7 and is the vista edition made any problem i mean if i have windows vista prof the upgrade for windows 7 must be on same edition or not ?

hi, I followed the tutorials step by step, for sccm install and Seven osd, capture have been succesful.

I create a new task sequence for deploy seven, it begins installatio, and at firt restart I got the following message :

windows failed to start, a recent hardw or software change might be the cause.

0xc0000001

I don't know why I got this message, because the default vmware scsi driver is in driver packages and in task sequences. Deployments with Windows XP worked without problem.

If you see what could be wrong, thanks in advance.

verify that the boot.wim file is the correct version after updating sccm to sp2.

if it is, check to see if you have a bitlocker partition

verify that the boot.wim file is the correct version after updating sccm to sp2.

if it is, check to see if you have a bitlocker partition

Hi anyweb, when I deployed Win XP without problem, SCCM was already in SP2 version...

Concerning bitlocker, no partitions installed, I just installed a seven version, and capture it after immediately.

Other ideas..? :(

im using SCCM 2007 SP2 R2 and MDT2010 to deploy windows7 ZTI for inplace upgrade for windows XP Pro and Windows Vista SP1.

for inplace upgrade i use normal Task Sequance by SCCM but im always face error while i run it on windows xp after complete scan state for users and start with windows PE.i already check the advertizment status it display succesfully complete for Restart in Windows PE and fail to start Apply Operation System which is the next step.

the seconed problem is for windows vista i use same task without partion and format option and it deploy windows 7 and restore users data but it always format c:\ so how can i prvent format c:\ partion since i use inplace upgrade from vista to windows 7 and is the vista edition made any problem i mean if i have windows vista prof the upgrade for windows 7 must be on same edition or not ?

please raise a new post about this, and one problem at a time, that way when its resolved others can find the info easier. I'm closing this thread as people are just replying to it instead of starting new posts explaining what they are trying to do and what the errors are.

cheers

niall

• Like 1