anyweb

Updated Powershell script with January 2015 drivers for deploying the Surface Pro 3 with MDT 2013

Question

Introduction

Microsoft released new updated drivers for the Surface Pro 3 yesterday and you can read about what those driver updates contained here. Here's a breakdown of what those driver versions are:

• Surface Pro UEFI update (v3.11.450.0) adds support for updated HD Graphics Family driver.
  • HD Graphics Family driver update (v10.18.14.4029) enhances display stability and performance, improves user experience when using Miracast adapters. Improves compatibility with DisplayPort monitors and daisy chaining.
  • Wireless Network Controller and Bluetooth driver update (v15.68.3073.151) addresses connectivity issues while Hyper-V is enabled. Adds an advanced feature to control the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band preference.
  • Surface Home Button driver update (v2.0.1179.0) ensures compatibility with the Surface Hub app.
  • Microsoft Docking Station Audio Device driver update (v1.31.35.7) improves the user experience while using the Surface Pro 3 Docking Station so that sound is available when a speaker is not connected to the docking station.

Last year I blogged about automating the deployment of the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 using MDT 2013 and PowerShell, the original blogpost is here and I updated it in November with a newer version of the script here.

surface-pro-3.jpg

Now that there are new drivers available, I've modified the PowerShell script to download and install them including the new MSI file. It creates the deployment share with a new name (MDTDeploy) instead of the default, you can always configure it as you wish.

For those of you that don't know, this script is totally automated and builds a complete MDT 2013 deployment solution for deploying the Surface Pro 3 with all drivers included from Microsoft right up to January 2015, all you have to provide is Windows 8.1 x64 Update source files and optionally Office 365.

Here's the new updated script.

Setup MDT 2013 for Microsoft Surface Pro 3 - January 2015.zip

This is what it looks like when running

Surface Pro 3 January 2015 MDT Script in action.png

Once complete, it should look like this, scroll up to see if there are any errors in red, if so, fix them,

script complete.png

The script will have downloaded several new drivers to your source path

new drivers downloaded.png

And those drivers are automatically imported into the Deployment Workbench. Below you can see the updated Intel HD Graphics driver is shown.

Intel HD Graphics driver updated.png

and below is what you'll see when you UEFI network boot your Surface Pro 3 computers

Prompted to change the name

IMG_6665.JPG

Prompted whether you want the optional Applications or not

IMG_6668.JPG

and off it goes with the automated deployment

IMG_6670.JPG

Please test this out and let me know how it went !

cheers

niall

7 answers to this question

the msi is something called Surface Platform Support and it shows up in Programs and Features after being installed, but apart from that I'm not sure what it does and yes you can install it using a standard package method, it's just a

msiexec /i bla.msi /q
  • Like 1

Love your work! Thanks for looking out for all the IT folks that are still figuring out how to deploy hundreds of these things at a time.

I've been playing around with your script since the first version, and they only thing I haven't been able to figure out is where you are getting the urls for the updates from. I've poked around on MS's download pages and haven't found any links that look like the ones you have been using each time you update the script. Where can I get the URL to manually update this next time an update is released?

example:

# Download Microsoft Surface Pro 3 drivers
Write-Host "Downloading Surface Pro 3 January 2015 drivers.." -nonewline
$clnt = New-Object System.Net.WebClient
$clnt.DownloadFile($url,$file3)
Write-Host "done!" -ForegroundColor Green

Love your work! Thanks for looking out for all the IT folks that are still figuring out how to deploy hundreds of these things at a time.

thank you !

Where can I get the URL to manually update this next time an update is released?

it requires manual work, when i put together the new scripts i have to manually download the stuff and when i get to the download page after selecting one or more downloads and clicking next, i view the html source and pull the urls from there

thank you !

it requires manual work, when i put together the new scripts i have to manually download the stuff and when i get to the download page after selecting one or more downloads and clicking next, i view the html source and pull the urls from there

Thank you so much! Can't believe I overlooked that.