anyweb

capturing Windows Vista sp2

Question

after applying http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970093 I managed to capture Vista sp2

here's a screenshot of it.

capturing vista sp2.jpg

Steps to get this working were to

1. download the hotfix from Microsoft from here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970093

2. extract the hotfix and install it by right click on it and choose Run as Administrator

3. once the hotfix is installed it asks you to do a site reset, answer yes

4. Update the boot images as described below

After the hotfix is applied, you have to update all boot images to include the fix inside the boot images. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Open the Configuration Manager Console window.

2. Locate the boot images under Computer Management\Operating System Deployment\Boot images.

3. Right-click every boot image, and then select Update Distribution Points.

Finally, locate the newly created package in SCCM it will be called KB970093 - Advanced Client Hotfix - WDN where WDN is your site code

right click on it and add a distribution point and then update the distribution point,

I then advertised this package to my All Windows Vista computers collection, and verified that it installed before doing a Capture Test.

cheers

below is the logfile generated from a succesful capture using a Capture from standalone media *CD*

smsts.log

ok thanks :)

another question please

is it possible to have a capture of an image when im at capture and build step for a windows with predefined apps or do i need to deploy an image of windows only then deploy each app as an package ?

i hope there is a way to take an image for a computer with predefined apps already

thanks

anyweb

now my situation is as follows , one of my clients was using norton ghost to have an image for 6 apps with windows vista SP1

now i want to include those in SCCM , how can i import that image into SCCM , in other words how can i CAPTURE an image with predefined APPS , i know that i can add different packages to the capture process but imagine i have 10 APPS will i have 10 different packages for that ?

isnt there a faster way please :)

thanks

it couldnt be easier,

either use the capture windows 7 task sequence i already pointed you to, and advertise that to the windows vista machine complete with all it's apps, and when you see the ts popup in RAP then click on it, the system will be rebooted into windows PE and it will start capturing the image.

or create a brand new build and capture task sequence, disable the build part, advertise it to a collection, add the computer to that collection and as above let the ts kick off...

or create a capture CD (right click on task sequences node in osd and choose create task sequence media, choose capture..

lets say i picked

or create a brand new build and capture task sequence, disable the build part, advertise it to a collection, add the computer to that collection and as above let the ts kick off...

or create a capture CD (right click on task sequences node in osd and choose create task sequence media, choose capture..

now what i wana know is , when i prepare the client with vista and predefined apps ill put it in a collection

ill create a TS to build only or create a capture CD then ill advertise it to that collection , when i restart the client it will capture those apps as well ?

note that i didnt specify in TS to install any apps , and in capture CD i just specifed where to save the CD under capture folder , am i correct or im doing wrong :(

UPDATE : check this printscreen please

this is capture process , now the capture step will capture the OS PLUS the APPS ?

i hope it will :D

post-3974-12685591573455_thumb.png