binarylab

Why I see Distribution point on all hard drives?

yes it's normal, if you don't want configuration manager to store files on a disk then place a NO_SMS_ON_DRIVE.SMS file on a drive that you want left alone BEFORE you install the role.

see http://blogs.technet.com/b/configurationmgr/archive/2012/09/17/controlling-configuration-manager-2012-using-hidden-files.aspx for more details.

This file is used to prevent Configuration Manager from installing binaries to a volume. By default, when you install System Center 2012 Configuration Manager on a remote Site System, the SMS Site Component Manager Service installs the binaries (files and folders) for the Site System on the NTFS-formatted volume that contains the most free space. You may want to use an NTFS volume other than the default volume for your remote Site Systems by preventing ConfigMgr from enumerating certain NTFS volumes.

In order to prevent CM from enumerating an NTFS volume, on the remote server you can create a text file that is named NO_SMS_ON_DRIVE.SMS and put the this file on the root folder of all NTFS volumes where you do not want to install the binaries (SMS folder) for the ConfigMgr components.

By default, the Configuration Manager Site server role component installation files are installed on the first available NTFS formatted disk drive with the most available free disk space. However, some files are not installed in the default installation folder. Configuration Manager will not install site role component files on a drive that contains a file named NO_SMS_ON_DRIVE.SMS. Instead, site role components will be installed on a different NTFS formatted disk drive that does not contain the NO_SMS_ON_DRIVE.SMS file.

The NO_SMS_ON_DRIVE.SMS file prevents site system role component installation, on a drive with this file present, for all site systems that are installed by site component manager. If site role installation files are already present on the drive before placing the NO_SMS_ON_DRIVE.SMS file on the drive, the installation files are not moved.

Our recommendation is to create the NO_SMS_ON_DRIVE.SMS on a volume where you do not want Configuration Manager to put files, before installing Configuration Manager or a Configuration Manager Site server role component.

Thank you for your help and quick response.

I've removed DP and created NO_SMS_ON_DRIVE.SMS file on all volumes except for G: (its my content library drive). then I installed DP again with default settings and as you can see it looks better :)

I'll install more site system roles and I want them to be installed on E: where my CM2012 installation is. I guess I have to remove NO_SMS_ON_DRIVE.SMS from E: before I install other roles.

My another problem is/was the critical error on the distribution point.

"

Distribution Manager failed to process package "Configuration Manager Client Package" (package ID = PS100004).

Possible cause: Distribution manager does not have access to either the package source directory or the distribution point.
Solution: Verify that distribution manager can access the package source directory/distribution point.

Possible cause: The package source directory contains files with long file names and the total length of the path exceeds the maximum length supported by the operating system.
Solution: Reduce the number of folders defined for the package, shorten the filename, or consider bundling the files using a compression utility.

Possible cause: There is not enough disk space available on the site server computer or the distribution point.
Solution: Verify that there is enough free disk space available on the site server computer and on the distribution point..."

I have solved this problem by adding my ConfigMgr computer to a local admin group but I wonder if it's the best practice even in the production environment?

post-28498-0-99665200-1422789061_thumb.png

Thank you for your help and quick response.

I've removed DP and created NO_SMS_ON_DRIVE.SMS file on all volumes except for G: (its my content library drive). then I installed DP again with default settings and as you can see it looks better :)

I'll install more site system roles and I want them to be installed on E: where my CM2012 installation is. I guess I have to remove NO_SMS_ON_DRIVE.SMS from E: before I install other roles.

My another problem is/was the critical error on the distribution point.

"

Distribution Manager failed to process package "Configuration Manager Client Package" (package ID = PS100004).

Possible cause: Distribution manager does not have access to either the package source directory or the distribution point.

Solution: Verify that distribution manager can access the package source directory/distribution point.

Possible cause: The package source directory contains files with long file names and the total length of the path exceeds the maximum length supported by the operating system.

Solution: Reduce the number of folders defined for the package, shorten the filename, or consider bundling the files using a compression utility.

Possible cause: There is not enough disk space available on the site server computer or the distribution point.

Solution: Verify that there is enough free disk space available on the site server computer and on the distribution point..."

I have solved this problem by adding my ConfigMgr computer to a local admin group but I wonder if it's the best practice even in the production environment?

Your computer account is the default account used by SCCM to install the Roles on your specified site servers, as it needs to be able to write to registry HKLM and write to protected drive areas. The good thing about computer accounts is no-one should be logging in as them.

It's been a while but I think I had to use the computer account for Database role. Everything else you can set a new AD account to perform the installs (MP definately, DP, SUP), however that account will need admin access on the server(s) that the role is being installed on.