lstrm

Deploy OS to All Systems Collection?

I have a UDI based task sequence for deploying Windows 7. This is deployed to a specific deployment collection. Since we do a lot of random redeployments on broken machines and recieve a few new machines every couple of days, it's a bit annoying having to either move a machine to the deployment collection, or to have to manually add the machine (entering the MAC and GUID).

What I'm considering is simply deploying this task sequence as an available deployment to the All Systems Collection thorugh Media and PXE. Would this be a big mistake and am I taking any risks I'm not aware of? Since the deployment is available and the UDI sequence requires user intervention before it does anything, there should be no room for mistaken deployments, or am I missing something?

Don't do it. Here is a link to a German blog post which describes an issue we had in our company: http://www.mssccmfaq.de/2014/04/07/die-gefahr-lauert-in-der-task-sequence-supersedence/

Basically the problem is if you use supersedence to update applications, and the specific application is also used in a task sequence, the application deployment evaluation cycle will evaluate every single machine in your environment and the machines with the specific application will receive the update... That can cause a lot more pain than the described annoyances.

We only deploy task sequences to unknown computers, and in case of a reinstall just search for the MAC adress / name (if it is known) and then delete the object.

If anyone has a less time consuming way of initiating a reinstall I would be glad to hear suggestions. :)

Don't do it. Here is a link to a German blog post which describes an issue we had in our company: http://www.mssccmfaq.de/2014/04/07/die-gefahr-lauert-in-der-task-sequence-supersedence/

Welcome to the club.

We only deploy task sequences to unknown computers, and in case of a reinstall just search for the MAC adress / name (if it is known) and then delete the object.

If anyone has a less time consuming way of initiating a reinstall I would be glad to hear suggestions. :)

Just add the client to the OSD collection intead of deleting it. This way it will not lose the collection memberships and assigned deployments. The client can be removed from the collection by a status filter rule. Jörgen Nielsson has written a script for that.

http://ccmexec.com/2012/07/remove-from-collection-and-clear-pxe-flag-vbscript-using-status-filter-rule/

Well, I'm aware that the general view on deploying to the All Systems collection is that it's a bad (really bad) idea. Though I still don't believe it could have any negative consequences on our system since the TS only is Available, and we don't do any superseedence updates (And we have no applications in the TS, the applications are deployed by throug the UDI script, I guess that dosent count as them being in the TS and thus being affected by any superseedence updates?).

But I'm a newbie and wont risk anything by going against everyones advice so I'll leave the All Systems collection without any deployments.

I'll leave it deployed to my Deployment collection, and also add it to the Unknown Systems collection. Are there any risks involved in using the default Unknown Systems collection? Or is that something you generally do? I've seen it recommended in multiple documentations and guides...