ThomasBNewcastle

OSD build and capture fails

Question

Hello

thanks for reading my post

trying to get a build and capture working on my test VM lab with out much joy

From what I can see from my logs (attahced) the drivers are not installing - but the PC boots into Windows and all drivers are installed

I also seem to have a number of errors

thank you for any advise

wpeinit.log

smsts-20150209-112234.log

smsts.log

1 answer to this question

First off, this question is about SCCM and not SCOM, so I will move this topic into the correct forum location.

That being said, in looking at your log files, I noticed the following error:

Failed to persist execution state. Error 0x(80070057)

Failed to save execution state and environment to local hard disk

Take a look at this thread about the disk partition step: http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4589-0x80070057/ to start.

Although, that might not be it, since the log shows "Successfully completed the action (Partition Disk 0 - BIOS) with the exit win32 code 0". Then later in the log it shows "Starting to apply image 1 from install.wim to C:\" and "Wiping C:\".

The fact that the log shows "Successfully completed the action (Apply Operating System) with the exit win32 code 0" indicates it's not a driver issue, at least not within WinPE.

But I did notice the following in the log.

Joining domain: ThomasNetwork.local

Join OU: LDAP://OU=Test Computers,DC=ThomasNetwork,DC=local

In case you are not aware, for a Build and Capture task sequence, you do NOT join the computer to the domain.

Near the end of the log file, there is this interesting line:

Driver-signing policy cannot be configured on this operating system. An administrator must always authorize the installation of unsigned drivers or a driver from a publisher that is not yet trusted.

Processing driver match result.

Server returned a total of 0 driver definitions.

I am not sure of the root cause of that, but take a look at this TechNet article, which mentions WinPE: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/40e158dd-1a1f-43c9-a2d8-900f2255bee9/windows-7-deployment-using-sccm-2007-r2-sp2 However, that's for OSD and not Build and Capture (which you might be mixing in this case).

In the final log file, when it calls the OSD Capture process, it is actually showing that your Windows installation is on D:\ instead of C:\

Target OS system root is D:\WINDOWS

But it does show that "System capture successfully completed."

So to sum up, it looks like you have a few areas to explore, including: OS Disk partition, driver letter assignment, not joining a domain, and WinPE.

As a final FYI, please keep in mind that it is Best Practice to use a Virtual Machine for a Build and Capture process, since this is used to create your GOLD image; which you don't necessarily want bloated with drivers (drivers will should be applied during the OSD process).

Let us know if that helps any, or if there are other issues.

• Like 1