Kevin79

Moving from MDT

Question

I have MDT set up at 15 locations. They all use the same basic image but put the computers in different OUs, set the time to different time zones and different languages. I currently have local IT support that applies the images but the Task Sequence has a user built in to it that has rights to create/add the computer the AD. Is there a way to have OSD in SCCM ask the user for the computer name, OU (with a drop down), Time Zone (with a drop down, or default based on IP address) and Language (with a drop down, or default based on IP address)? I don't want to give the local IT support rights to SCCM to add the computer manually nor do I want to add more steps for them.

What part of the guides do I use since I already have an image (in WIM format)?

5 answers to this question

Hi,

MDT adds UDI possibilities to SCCM, User Driven Installation, here are some tutorials on how to use it. http://blogs.technet.com/b/chrad/archive/2012/07/26/learning-mdt-2012-s-user-driven-installation-udi.aspx

Regards,
Jörgen

Thanks. It seemed to work. I have a few other questions though.

• Is there a way to get rid of the first screen (the one that asks for a password, NIC configuration, Proxy)?
  • Is there a way to put logic in that will select the default OU, Language, Time Zone based on the IP address or the DP that is being used?
  • How do I put the password for the user joining the domain in to the task sequence?

Hi,

Yes you can remove the screens in the UDI Wizard editor, just remember that any variables set by pages you remove you must set by yourself in the TS.

The TimeZone and Language e.t.c is read from an .xml file so it is not that easy to solve.

The domain join user and password can also be set as TS variables as described here: http://kb.matthewtrotter.com/?p=84

Regards,
Jörgen