BigJonMX

Win Server 2003 VPN

Question

Hi, can anyone help...

We have a windows 2003 domain with xp machines - the server has AD, DHCP, and a few other bits and bobs. server=192.168.10.2, all xp's=192.168.10.x, gateway=192.168.10.190

Its connected to a switch along with all clients, and it all works well.

The switch is connected to a physical firewall ip=192.168.10.190

But the firewall has another cable with ip=192.168.1.250, gw=192.168.1.200, which goes to the Cisco Router (provided by isp) which i assume has ip=192.168.1.200 and has a public ip from our isp of 123.123.123.123-obviously not the real ip as i'm setting vpn :)

Now one chap needs to work from home (and it would be good if i could as well) where he has a isp modem also giving out dhcp to his home computers - lets say 10.10.10.10

is it possible i can set up vpn with my 2003 ?

do i have to get 3rd party software?

i'd like to able to use Remote Desktop to work on various machines.

i havent found any documents about this kind of setup.

Thanks.

2 answers to this question

what i done so far...

Install Routing & Remote Access -> open up the RRA control panel -> add server = this computer.

-> Right-click SERV1 and start Configure Wizard

-> choose Remote Access -> VPN -> choose interface...

(one has static 192.168.10.2, the other is dynamic)

choose 192.168.10.2 interface

turn off "Enable security" (first time around i didnt do this, and had to run to the server room to cancel everything as i lost Remote Desktop and users couldnt login !!! - i guess my physical firewall better get involved at some point)

-> choose Auto not Range for DHCP (should i use another range? my office scope is large)

-> choose No (we dont use RADIUS)

-> finished

So i wait for RRA to start -> rightclick on DHCP Relay Agent -> properties

and enter 192.168.10.2 -> ok

Now what?

when i get home i'll try with my user account - i've already gone into AD and checked my account has 'Allowed' on Dial In.

But i'm sure theres a lot more to it...

My firewall is a nightmare piece of equipment, but i think i have got my user account has unlimited everything.

Now i'm stuck.

++ anyweb ++ thanks for the link. i'll look into that...

hum, i just saw that this method is for routers/firewalls that do not support vpn technology - but mine do, so is really the only/best way?

Thanks.

update: my RRA is working - i just created a new Network Connection on my xp, to 192.186.10.2 and it all worked.

what now anyone?