mpicollet

Impossible to deploy Windows 7 on disk 1 for a Dell models with SCCM 2012 R2 CU3

Question

Hello,

We have a big problem for Dell Precision M6x00 models with two discs.

We try to apply Windows OS on Disk 1 (mSATA) with the task sequence SCCM, but impossible!

We have upgraded the BIOS version, same result !

A priori, the Disk 0 has priority over the Disk 1 in all cases

Nothing in the BIOS proposes to change this state.

Topics similary

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10561-sccm-2012-r2-osd-fails-with-error-80070032/

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/297f9adb-d71d-445b-8fdf-9776b70c7b98/multiple-harddisks-and-apply-operating-system-image-failure?forum=configmgrosd

have you got a idea ?

Regards,

MP.

The volume E:\ exists and is a local hard drive.

The volume E:\ is using a valid file system.

Windows target partition is 1-2, driver letter is E:\

!sSystemPart.empty(), HRESULT=80004005 (e:\qfe\nts\sms\framework\tscore\diskvolume.cpp,131)

System partition not set

Unable to locate a bootable volume. Attempting to make E:\ bootable.

volume.getDisk() == iBootDisk, HRESULT=80070032 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\client\osdeployment\applyos\installcommon.cpp,693)

Volume E:\ is not on the boot disk and cannot be made bootable.

MakeVolumeBootable( pszVolume ), HRESULT=80070032 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\client\osdeployment\applyos\installcommon.cpp,772)

Failed to make volume E:\ bootable. Please ensure that you have set an active partition on the boot disk before installing the operating system.

The request is not supported. (Error: 80070032; Source: Windows)

ConfigureBootVolume(targetVolume), HRESULT=80070032 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\client\osdeployment\applyos\applyos.cpp,499)

Process completed with exit code 2147942450

!--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------!

Failed to run the action: Apply Operating System Image Windows 7 SP1.

The request is not supported. (Error: 80070032; Source: Windows)

It might be better to call Dell. On systems with M.2 or mSATA the drive order (not boot order) perhaps should be handled by boot priority or CMOS settings instead of hard sata port #. On my system M.2 uses SATA port 5 and 6. I don't know what order they are presented to the OS, or if it can be changed via CMOS. I only have the one M.2 drive but it is in interesting question.

Also some systems allow you to disable individual SATA ports in CMOS which could temporarily shift the remaining drive to drive 0 from the OS perspective.

Hi,

I figured I'd create an account and reply to this as I found this forum whilst trying to solve a similar problem myself.

Through a process of 18% trial and 82% error, I have a working solution to my problem. I thought I would share as it may work with others.

My task sequence begins with a command line which cleans the partitions on disk 0 and disk 1 using diskpart.

I then proceed to partition and format disk 1 (an MSATA disk).

Next comes the installation of Windows (7, 8.1 or 10) on disk 1. I've used this method with all 3.

Apply Windows settings.

Apply Network settings.

ONLY THEN:

Partition and format disk 0.

Apply image to disk 0 (in my case, this is just the program files folders as I need a lot of software in these images).

Finally, set up configuration manager client.

This has worked consistently on around 50 machines with this stupid MSATA set as disk 1 configuration. Sometimes I need to put stuff on disk 0 with the TS, sometimes I don't. Works either way.

By the time you create a partition on disk 0, the computer recognises disk 1 as the boot disk with the OS on it.

Hope this helped at least someone. It gave me a headache for two days...