Kevin79

Installing APPS during OSD

Question

I finally have the OSD working for the basic stuff. I now want to install some applications. In the applications, I have different "Deployment Types" for each language I need. In the Deployment Type, I have a single "Requirement" based on computer OU. When I try to deploy it during OSD, it doesn't install. I can select it but it never installs. It doesn't appear to be in the CCMCache folder either. I have some software that doesn't have any "Requirements" and that software installs fine. I looked in the log files but don't know what I should be looking for. Can anyone give me some advice?

I think I misunderstood what you are trying to do. Are you trying to install the package using the OSD process or are you trying to use the CCM client to pull the install? I am not sure that you can do the later until the system has completed the OSD process and the client has fully "checked in" with the SCCM servers/inventory.

If you are doing the former, select the Task Sequence you are using and ensure that the References tab shows that your Software package is listed,the compliance is at 100% and the PackageID value matches.

For packages that are installed during the OSD you should have a folder structure like: c:\_smstasksequence\packages\<pkgid> where you can find your application install.

Looking in the folder, the only packages are the ones for my OS install (my custom WIM, the deploy files, etc).

I do have some software installs that are working and those files are in the ccmcache directory. They don't have any OU requirements though.

I am trying to install the software during the Task Sequence with the "Install Default Applications" step.

I do have some software installs that are working and those files are in the ccmcache directory. They don't have any OU requirements though.

This might be the issue. Instead of using the General step "Install Applications" try using "Install Package".

Sorry, Kevin, I don't have experience with deploying Applications this way. We install our apps in OSD as Packages and based on bare metal provisioning assumptions.

You might look at the following posts: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b26f9b2b-e196-4323-99fb-6b0ad2595a3d/sccm-2012-sp1-task-sequence-installing-applications?forum=configmanagerosdand http://blogs.technet.com/b/inside_osd/archive/2011/06/20/configuration-manager-2012-user-device-affinity-and-os-deployment.aspx Looks like they are leveraging the pre-deploy option.

Also look at the last post, where fusiongroup is querying a collection and then creating a list of apps to install.

However I believe both of these methods are predicated on the computer object existing before you start the OSD and being a member of the application collections.

Did you sort this out? Is your computer being put into the correct OU during OSD and before the software tries to install? Have you other software as a requirement/dependency and does that application also have "Allow this application to be installed from the Install Application task sequence action without being deployed" checked, or do you have "Primary Device" set as a requirement?