nhottinger

PXE Boot fails on new Dell Optiplex 3020 desktops

*****Resolved*****

Up until a couple days ago, we had no problem imaging our Dell desktops. From OptiPlex 780's all the way up to our new 3020's. Yesterday we received 5 new 3020's that will not image at all. Most of the time it doesn't even get to the point where we can hit F12 to start. Occasionally we do get the F12 screen and it looks like it's going to start, but then freezes up and fails. I've attached a few images to show my progress. I've looked at all the different settings I can think of in SCCM and on the individual pc's and don't see anything different. Any idea what is going on here?

*****Solution*******

I created a new WinPE .wim, changed out task sequence to use the new .wim, applied the changes. Then changed it back to the original .wim we were using and everything started to work. Not sure why, but it works.

******Failed Solution*******

So that didn't work. It worked for a few devices but then stopped working again.

Did you try added the nic driver to the boot image??? I was having a similar issue with some HP 705's that we are wanting for our school system. They would PXE boot but when they got to the Windows GUI screen it would hang there and reboot. We added the nic driver to the boot image and we are able to image that model now.

I added drivers for the 3020 a while back when we first started getting these in. Up until now they have imaged just fine. Now, as you can see from my original post edits, it started working, then stopped again, now for some reason they are working again. I'm afraid this wont' last long though and I can't keep troubleshooting this on a day to day basis.

******Edit********

The weird thing that got it working this time was to change the bios boot mode to UEFI then it worked (until it had to reboot). At that point I changed it back to Legacy and it finished imaging.

The one thing I noticed is if (after hitting F12 and starting the PXE boot process) the pc sees the \SMSBoot\boot.sdi file instead of the .wim file we created, it does not work. Any idea why this is happening?

Have you tried using the Dell WINPE driver cabs for this model. http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/2065.dell-command-deploy-driver-packs-for-enterprise-client-os-deployment

Currently the only WINPE driver bundle that I have used and it boots almost everything in the enterprise from all current DELLs including the 3020, HPs, Lenovos, Fujitsu's..... bar a few manufacturer devices.

Depending on your version of SCCM depends on which WINPE version is supported i:e if your running ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 then use the WINPE4.0 cab, inject the x86 cab files into the x86 boot file and the x64 driver cab files into the x64 boot file.