Hi, all.

SCCM 2012 SP1 with CU5.

I'm seeing weirdness when setting up device collections that attempt to include systems based on both 32 bit and 64 bit applications being installed.

I'm trying to combine "Installed Applications.Display Name" (SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS.DisplayName) with "Installed Applications (64).Display Name" (SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS_64.DisplayName), but the result isn't what I'm expecting - the collection actually shrinks, instead of growing, which I would think is impossible, since it's an OR.

Example using Java:

Criteria

"Installed Applications.Display Name" like '%java 8'

I get 34 members in the collection

If I then change the criteria to

"Installed Applications.Display Name" like '%java 8%'

OR

"Installed Applications(64).Display Name" like '%java 8%'

Update membership, and the collection drops to 26 members. Some of the dropped ones are systems that I know for a fact have 32-bit Java 8 installed. All of the dropped systems are running a 32 bit version of Windows.

I would expect that this would get *any* systems, regardless of OS architecture, with 32-bit Java 8 (since these match the statement before the OR) plus any systems with 64-bit Java 8 (since they match the statement after the OR). What appears to actually be happening is that once the statement to check the 64 bit app list is added, all systems that are running a 32 bit OS are removed from the collection, even though they do match the first criterion.

Is this intended behavior? Do I need to massage the query statement? To this point, I've just been using the auto-generated query statement that setting up via the GUI comes back with.

Or is this just not possible, and I'd need to create two (32 bit via query, 64 via query + include other collection) or three (32, 64, both via inclusion) separate collections?

For "or" situations I have found it is best to just create two separate membership rules.

Rule 1:"Installed Applications.Display Name" like '%java 8'

Rule 2: "Installed Applications(64).Display Name" like '%java 8%'

As a bonus, after using the CE Viewer for a few years I found that this really speeds up the evaluation times.