jharlow

Surface Pro 3 Deployment using MDT/WDS

Question

I am running into an issue trying to deploy Windows 8.1 to the Surface Pro 3. I followed the directions posted here however since I already have a working MDT/WDS deployment for other machines, I could not run the script. The issue appears to be driver related. I used the link (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826) and downloaded both the Ethernet and GB Ethernet drivers, added them into my deployment share/OOB Driver section for WinPEx64 and updated my deployment share.

The error I receive is as follows

"A connection to the deployment share ([path]) could not be made.

The Following networking device did not have a driver installed. PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_2B38&SUBSYS_045E0001&REV00"

Photo showing I have the two Microsoft drivers installed under the OOB Driver section. I even change my WinPE settings to include ALL DRIVERS just to make sure it was not somehow picking up the selection profile.

http://1drv.ms/1C4sC0P (also attached)

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

post-29056-0-49428300-1426004791_thumb.png

5 answers to this question

the nic drivers need to be added to your x64 boot wim and then updated to WDS, examine the powershell script I wrote and you'll see how it's done, or manually do it yourself.

did you update the deployment share and replace the x64 boot wim in WDS with the new one ?

you can find the PowerShell script here.

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/forum/74-mdt/

Hey Niall,

Thanks for your reply. The drivers were added to the WIM image and updated to the WDS. I can send you the output (just don't want to post it publically). but in there I can see the following lines.

(1)
Injected driver Microsoft Net msu30x64w8.inf 8.14.0704.2014
Injected driver Microsoft Net msu64w8.inf 8.6.0128.2013

Same issue here. I had used a tutorial by Microsoft/Blog and I created a successful boot USB device. Then, started from scratch on my Deployment Server system, removed all directories, used the script from here with older references/drivers, and it now gives that same message on PXE, and my USB device when trying to connect. The USB should already have the drivers injected, but, it throws that same message now oddly as you have posted.

I also added the latest giga ethernet drivers from Microsoft as you did, set it up, updated deployment etc..same error as you have TS, identical.

Back to the drawing board. I'm using a microsoft docking station BTW for ethernet. I know it works with a plain vanilla WDS setup, with drivers setup manually and a standard/basic x64 iso it creates.

Something on the deployment server side seemingly, but no idea what.

go back and look at the powershell, are there ANY errors when it created the boot wim or installed/configured WDS, if so, you'll have to fix those problems, for example, verify if the correct litetouch boot wim is in place in wds and that it has the drivers in it.... i'm happy to do a teamviewer session and take a look if you want