MadMacs77

Problem installing reporting services point

This is a really interesting issue, one which has thus far stumped 3 MS support engineers

I've been setting up a shiny new SCCM 2012 R2 environment, and a few weeks ago I set up a Reporting Services Point, tested creating a new custom report, then went back to edit the report I had just made.

"You do not have permission to do this"

wut? :|

poked at it for a bit, then discovered the console was not able to communicate with SSRS. I checked SSRS and it was seemingly functioning fine.

Uninstalled the Reporting Services Point, waited, went to reinstall it.

The SSRS instance wasn't populating in the drop-down in the setup wizard. :|

triple checked everything, searched Google and Bing, checked over what I found via them. Everything *looked* perfect. It should be working.

Convinced the SQL admin to reinstall SSRS. That didn't help.

Call Microsoft. It has been determined that WMI queries between the SCCM and SQL box are not working UNLESS you are using the SCCM server's computer account OR a domain admin account. The other accounts used are members of the local admin groups, and appear to have all the rights and permissions to conduct the needed queries to detect the SSRS instance, but those queries are rebuffed as access denied.

So I'm a bit confused, what is you question?

SSRS will not show up in the setup wizard if your don't have the right CU install on SQL/SSRS itself. Exactly what version of SQL and SSRS are you running? What CU have been applied to both SQL and SSRS? Was SSRS installed AFTER SQL was installed? Did you re-apply the CUs and SPs?

Why are you trying to use anything but the CM12 computer account to access SQL/SSRS? Or are you taking about the SSRS execution account?

Did you know that it is NOT recommend that have SQL (and SSRS) remote from CM12 itself?

Permissions will automatically get reset on SSRS by CM12

http://www.enhansoft.com/blog/disappearing-permissions-for-ssrs-reports-in-system-center-2012-configuration-manager

Yes this is very confusing, because none of this should be happening.

I don't really have a question, so much as sharing what's going on with the community and seeing if anyone has thoughts on this, or has maybe seen this.

But to clarify your questions:

SQL 2012 SP2 CU1 (11.0.5532.0) running on Server 2012 R2.

SSRS was installed after SQL was. I'm verifying with our SQL admin if the CUs were re-applied after he installed SSRS

I'm not trying to use anything other than the computer account. This is the mystifying thing, as the account I'm logged in to the CM Site server as should not matter one bit! The computer account of the Site Server should be doing all the work, including the WMI queries which seem to be the heart of the problem. But something is broken, and the MS guys can't figure it out. Everything *looks* right. Everything *should* be working.

If they can't figure it out by the end of tomorrow I'm blowing the whole thing away and reinstalling.

Something I just learned:

System Center 2012 Configuration Manager makes a connection in the context of the current user to Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) on the selected site system to retrieve the instance of SQL Server for Reporting Services. The current user must have Read access to WMI on the site system, or the Reporting Services instances cannot be retrieved.

Still doesn't make sense, as all user accounts involved are assigned at least read access!