anyweb

How can I check for network connectivity before starting a task sequence in System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager ?

well it should work just fine (it does here and we are using it in production)

where exactly are you see the 5 minute delay, can you video it so i can see ?

Thanks for a very good guide on how to implement this. I had no problems in modifying the boot.wim file and succesfully updated it on the DPs. I started a installation on a virtual machine, VMware machine with Intel E1000 nic, and there were no problems starting the Task Sequence, but after the step: Setup Windows and Configuration Manager the Task Sequence initiates a reboot and after that it halts and loops trying to,

At the same time two of my colleagues initiated the installation of, One physical machine, HP 10140 and on one Hyper-V virtual machine, with the same result as me on the virtual machine I was running the TS on.

"Windows is starting up" and then "Preparing network connections" over, over and over again.... in an endless loop until I shut down the machine.

- I looked through SMSMTS.log, didn't see anything special.

- The "Setup Windows and Configuration Manager" step is just after "Install Drivers" and I wonder if this might have anything to do with the problem.

- In the script, CheckForNetwork.vbs, it looks for: (description LIKE '%ether%') OR (description LIKE '%network%'), When I look at the description of the NICs on these 3 machines, the descriptuion contains Ethernet and Network. At the moment this is the only thing that I have found different and I wonder if %ether% and %network% might be case sensitive?

Any other suggestions?

TIA

Anderz

hi

this guide is not supposed to assist you with lack of network drivers AFTER you start a task sequence, but before you start one,

and your issue sounds like the latter, do please attach your smsts.log files here so we can figure out why

Hi,

Yes, that was the reason for me trying to implement this into the boot image. However the task sequence and the boot image had been working fine on these machine types up until the implementation of the script. No changes have been made in the driver packages for these machine types, and when reverting back to the boot image that I used Before implementing the script there's no problem. So I don't think there's a lack of any network adapters for these machine types.

I'll will try set up the boot image with the script again to generate the SMSTS.log file, hopefully I'll can fix it during the day....

/A

well you can simply change the boot image referenced in the task sequence to quickly switch between boot wims, i'd definetly be interested in seeing your smsts.logs

In my previous issue, i mentioned that there is delay of 5 minutes. i commented the line objShell.Run("x:\windows\system32\wpeinit -winpe"),1,true. then the delay is removed but script not proceeding if machine is connected to network.

that line must run otherwise the network will never initialize and neither will winpe.

I've tested this over and over and it works great, so something is up on your end, if have access to virtual machines to test this and have teamviewer i can take a look.