anyweb

How can I check for network connectivity before starting a task sequence in System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager ?

Sorry, but I have been in meetings during the day that took som more time than I expected... I have to correct my previous statement. When the task sequence loops it loops by saying the following: "Initializing Hardware Devices" and then "Windows is starting up" and again and again....

ok you must have made some error in the script, please re-download it, and retest it after changing only the ip addresses

Had some time to try this again today. I downloaded the script again, edited the IP-addresses. Made a copy of the boot-image we are using and added it back again as a new boot image. I the used this copy to use in your guide. I added back the vmware network drivers to the boot image as I was going to test this on a virtual machine within vmware. Same result with a twist, after the step "Setup Windows and Configuration Manager" the TS fails but when clicking ok in the backround the "Initialize hardware" runs and the the error pops up back again. See attached files.....

CheckForNetwork_files.zip

CheckNetwork.logs.zip

can you clarify what you mean here please

clicking ok in the backround the "Initialize hardware" runs and the the error pops up back again. See attached files.....

Sure,

Th first time I modified the boot image the Task Sequence completed the step "Setup Windows & Configuration Manager" and after that it stated "Initializing Hardware Devices" and after that "Windows is starting up" and started looping within these messages.

The second time around I modified the boot image, I made a copy and used that one. I modified the boot.wim file according to your guide and after that I added only the requiered drivers to be able to boot the winpe within VMware. I started the task sequence and the Task sequence completed the step "Setup Windows & Configuration Manager" and after that the Task Sequence fails with an error visible. I click ok on the error and behind the error popup message there is the window of "Initializing Hardware Devices" and after that "Windows is starting up", and after this the error pops up again. I click ok on the error to finish the TS but behind it the window of "Initializing Hardware Devices" is present and after that "Windows is starting up"....and so it continues in an endless loop: TS error, click ok on error, initializing hardware devices, windows is starting up, TS error...... the only way to end this is to shut down the machine.

The only difference between the first time and the second time is the error message of the TS, otherwise same behaviour. Did I manage to explain it?

/A

Hi Nial,

Thanks for an awesome guide. I'm wondering if there is a diffence in using your technique with the registry to run custom scripts in WinPE vs using a modified unattend.xml to run custom scripts in WinPE?

Does it accomplish the same goal? If so would it be better to use the unattend.xml way run the .vbs script because you could then use the SCCM "add extra directories" way to add the extra files instead of manually mounting the boot image to do it?

i didn't try the method you are referring to (this one ?), as i'm pretty sure it won't work with SCCM, but you are welcome to try it and let me know. This method occurs even before WinPEinit

So this methode with a WinPE registry hack will run before the wpeinit ????

I have an issue wit deploying a Dell (E7370) without a NIC and which i boot using a Dell USB3 to Ethernet dongle.....

The problem is that the dongle is not recognized during startup :-(

I am wondering if I can do a devcon /rescan action which will rescan the hardware and maybe then it will work again....

I know that when I plug in the adapter when the starting WinPE and the "starting windows" message is appear, the hardware is detected and installation can be initiated through SCCM....

So i hope that a retrigger of the hardware devices (same as putting in USB3-Ethernet dongle) before wpeinit will help me out on this one...

Any idea ?