anyweb

How can I check for network connectivity before starting a task sequence in System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager ?

So this methode with a WinPE registry hack will run before the wpeinit ????

I have an issue wit deploying a Dell (E7370) without a NIC and which i boot using a Dell USB3 to Ethernet dongle.....

The problem is that the dongle is not recognized during startup :-(

I am wondering if I can do a devcon /rescan action which will rescan the hardware and maybe then it will work again....

I know that when I plug in the adapter when the starting WinPE and the "starting windows" message is appear, the hardware is detected and installation can be initiated through SCCM....

So i hope that a retrigger of the hardware devices (same as putting in USB3-Ethernet dongle) before wpeinit will help me out on this one...

Any idea ?

try it and see what happens, this script kicks off

wpeinit -winpe

so yes you can try to insert your commands prior to this, or simply insert them then kick off the init again

thanks so much for this script, works top notch (using winpe 10 x64 from mdt 2013 integrated in sccm 1606 & adk 1607 here.)

only suggestion would be to add a detection or an ignore button in the case of a standalone media, so that the same boot image could be used for online or offline imaging. But yeah that will help tremendously for the new models!

Works perfect with x86-based boot image. With x64 images black window doesnt hide

it will hide if you use the correct version (architecture) of windowhide.exe for those boot images.

I am having an issue with USB NIC adapters not being recognized after the computer reboots during OSD,  this has solved the problem in WinPE since I can now disconnect the adapter, reconnect it, and hit ok to continue on, any way to apply this fix to Windows so that I can continue to check after we have left PE and moved into windows?

Thanks.

Followed the instructions to the T, the script appears to work only the behaviour I get is that I'm not presented with any of the message boxes relating to it not being able to find a connection, no message or progress windows on the System Center Configuration Manager screen. So it is partially working, if I then connect the cable the Task Sequence continues. Any ideas?

Also, is it possible to add a power cable check for a laptop device to the script please?

Hi all,

If any one still having trouble with this even after updating NIC driver please follow the steps below.

Copied boot.wim to c:\Mount (boot image that you selected for bootable media creation - Location :- Click on boot image properties and then the location will be in 'data source' tab) 

start the Deployment Imaging and Tools Environment cmd prompt (Run as Administrator)

Created new directory C:\WinPEMount\x64 and mount the boot.wim to this directory using the following command

dism /mount-wim /wimfile:c:\mount\boot.wim /index:1 /mountdir:c:\winpemount\x64

Open the folder c:\winpemount\x64 and check whether it has sms folder available. If it has SMS folder then it should have bin, boot and data folder under it. 

If one of these folders missing, you need to copy it from the bootable usb and paste it in the root of sms folder. Please follow steps below

Created a sccm bootable media usb from which task sequence can be run and image the machine successfully.

Explore the USB and copy date folder (in my case data folder wasn't available in mounted directory) and paste it to the root of the sms folder in mounted boot.wim

unmount the boot.wim using command below

dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:c:\WinpeMount\X64 /commit

copy the c:\mount\boot.wim and paste it on the location where you copied the original boot.wim from (you need to rename existing boot.wim to boot_old.wim befor pasting the new boot image)

Update the boot image to the distribution point and thats it.

PXE boot shouldn't fail on 'preparing network connection' stage now.

Happy imaging!!!!!

Edited by Muhsin