hi

I have installed SCCM 2012 r2 with two servers .A site server and a database server .I enabled software metering on client settings and software and hard ware inventory .But I ve got a problem that sccm doesn't create software metering rules automatically .I had already enabled Automatic create software metering rule on SMW properties . But no luck yet.

when I create a rule manually It works fine but Its not working automatically .

Untitled.png

You need to enable Software Inventory to get this going.

I'm sorry but this is not true. You don't need SW inventory to make SW metering work at all.

On top of that I NEVER recommend enabling SW inventory, it is generally not what people think and it is (IMO) all be useless.

Hi Nick,

It is the AI classes that need to be abled to get the automatic rules created. But the automatic rules are useless because they will create a rule for Explorer.exe, or your AV software or other useless stuff like drivers, mouse software etc.

On top of that they are disabled so what is the point of them.

Honestly the best option is manually create the rule as you import the package and only for software which has a cost, otherwise there is no point to creating them.