hlee

USMT Randomly pick SMP Sites to capture data to

Question

We have a primary site with 13 DP and each DP has SMP setup. Boundaries and Boundary Group are setup with separate Site assignment and Content Server.

The Site Assignment are setup with AD Site and IP Segments, while the Content Servers are setup with Subnet.

When I tried to use USMT TS with SCCM 2012 R2 CU2, the computer will request SMP from the MP, and received 13 SMP by viewing the Log File, and it will randomly choose any one of them, instead of using the one assigned to it. I can check the property of the computer and it's showing the correct SITE, and it has already been defined in the Subnet Group.

I have verified there are no overlapping of boundaries.

Why does the computer still randomly choose any SMP although it already has one defined? It seems no matter what I change on the boundary/boundary group, it still receive the same 13 SMP list from MP.

Is there a way to flush the list from MP? Any assistance would be appreciated.

4 answers to this question

The machine in question is a member of how many collections?

Is there is a common collection associated with many distribution point groups, don't use USMT but did test it briefly and if I remember I had to isolate any system I was trying to state restore into a collection that was only a member of a distribution point group that only had the DP with SMP configured, once this was done it captured the settings to the correct local SMP that the system resided at.

The machine in question is a member of how many collections?

Is there is a common collection associated with many distribution point groups, don't use USMT but did test it briefly and if I remember I had to isolate any system I was trying to state restore into a collection that was only a member of a distribution point group that only had the DP with SMP configured, once this was done it captured the settings to the correct local SMP that the system resided at.

The machine in question is in 3 collections. "Computers with Client Installed", "Capture User Data", and "Restore User Data".

I don't have Distribution Point Groups setup, and there are no collections for Distribution Points. Do you mean Boundaries and Boundary Groups?

There are no overlaps I can see, verified many times. I have setup Boundary Groups with AD Sites and Subnets, and the proper Site System Server assigned for the Boundary Group.

I can see the SMSTS Logs that the client computer is requesting SMP List from the Management Point Server, and received 13 SMP's. But it's just randomly picking the SMP Server and create the USMT Capture Store.

No I mean Distribution point groups. Create a DPG with your DP\SMP added as a member. Then add a collection with your system in it to this Distribution point group...see if this resolves your random SMP issue.

As mentioned I briefly tested this before when I had a hub spoke topology with PS as hub and remote DPs as the spokes so to speak. I had a SMP configured at the PS DP(hub) and tried to USMT a system that resided on a spoke location, it worked but it captured the data to the PS SMP which did take quite a while over the WAN link. I added a SMP to the remote DP server where this system resided and configured the above distribution point Group solution and it worked fine, it captured the data to the remote DP/SMP where the system resided as opposed to coming across the WAN link.

DPG collections.JPG DPG Member.JPG

Thanks for the suggestion, I followed your instruction and created DP Groups for the site, and then put the collections "Capture User Data" and "Restore User Data" into the group. Under Members tab, I assigned the DP for that site underneath.

I then tried to run the Capture User Data TS from that site, and it still randomly pick DP / SMP to store the data, so this did not work for me.

I have opened up a support case with Microsoft and see what they come up with. I'll update when I have the answer. Thanks!