day79

Multicast setup

Question

good question

i think you'll need to change the multicast range that is defined by default in sccm as that doesn't work well with cisco, so i have read...

i'm not a cisco person so that's all I can say

You do have to configer ip-helper in the switches for all vlans to the pxe server (if you use that), or else it can't pxe boot.

Only if you use that ofcourse.

to clarify, you need to put a helper in for both you wds box and your dhcp (stating the obvious)...

Still no luck multicasting across vlans. My clients can multicast just fine when they are placed on the same vlan as my servers. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. My sccm setup is as follows:

Server 1: SCCM Primary server, database server, PXE service point, FSP, SLP - Server 2008, SCCM 2007 R2 SP2, on VLAN A.

Server 2: DP setup for Multicast - Server 2008 R2, on VLAN B.

Server 3: MP, DP, WSUS - Server 2008 R2, on VLAN B.

Clients are on their own vlans.

I'm not using DHCP for the multicast scope, but set it through SCCM as 224.1.1.1-224.1.1.254.

I'm told by our cisco guys that the core switches, Cisco Catalyst 6500 series, are setup properly and should work. Here is what has been done on the cisco side for anyone interested:

Cisco Global command:

multicast-routing

Enabled on each interface:

ip helper-address DHCP Server

ip directed-broadcast 101

ip pim sparse-dense-mode

standby priority 101

standby preempt

Hi day79.

did you solve your problem with multicasting across vlans?

it would be great if you posted what solved your problem.

Still no luck multicasting across vlans. My clients can multicast just fine when they are placed on the same vlan as my servers. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. My sccm setup is as follows:

Server 1: SCCM Primary server, database server, PXE service point, FSP, SLP - Server 2008, SCCM 2007 R2 SP2, on VLAN A.

Server 2: DP setup for Multicast - Server 2008 R2, on VLAN B.

Server 3: MP, DP, WSUS - Server 2008 R2, on VLAN B.

Clients are on their own vlans.

I'm not using DHCP for the multicast scope, but set it through SCCM as 224.1.1.1-224.1.1.254.

I'm told by our cisco guys that the core switches, Cisco Catalyst 6500 series, are setup properly and should work. Here is what has been done on the cisco side for anyone interested:

Cisco Global command:

multicast-routing

Enabled on each interface:

ip helper-address DHCP Server

ip directed-broadcast 101

ip pim sparse-dense-mode

standby priority 101

standby preempt

No. We were never able to get it to work across vlans.

Hello

We are also working on Multicast between VLans and i will post a "how to" as soon as we are done.

We can see that all the packages are going from the server to the client, the network card on the client is working hard(led blinking), but the client wont "read" the packages or do anything with them.

Our scenario is almost as posted above.

jeaostro, were you ever able to get it to work?

Hello

We are also working on Multicast between VLans and i will post a "how to" as soon as we are done.

We can see that all the packages are going from the server to the client, the network card on the client is working hard(led blinking), but the client wont "read" the packages or do anything with them.

Our scenario is almost as posted above.

jeaostro, were you ever able to get it to work?

We can multicast yes, but only at the 10Mbit profile(remember when changing profile you will need to change it in both SCCM and in the registry for the WDS Multicast).

We are going to use Mtools to test if this is a Network issue.

If it is not a network issue we will set up a WDS server to se if the problem might be SCCM og WDS.