jeaostro

OS deployment and Lenovo computers

Question

Hello

Has anyone tried to deploy OS with SCCM on Lenovo Computers? Lenovo has "Lenovo specific software" like Access connection, Power manager, hotkey drivers, system interface drivers, and so on.

I have added these "application drivers" to the OS deployment task, and used the unattended attributes like application.exe /S and Application.exe -s -SMS, and this works great for almost every application.

But there are 6 packages that just wont install. Ive also tried to add the advertisements of these applications to clients so that I can run the advertisements of the application manual and then can see what happens, but nothing happens when i click run advertised program. If i start the installation from cmd with application.exe /S it installs, and I use the exact same command in the application package.

So if anyone has tried to do this, please give me a helping hand :(

The applications that just wont install in the OS deployment Task or with software advertisments are:

HotKey driver

Power Manager

System Interface driver

Access Connection

EasyEject

Presentation Director.

But they work fine from cmd with: setup.exe /S

Best regards

Jean André

7 answers to this question

Program started for advertisement "AES20013" ("AES00029" - "Lenovo Power Manager"). Command line: "\\XXX\SMSPKGD$\AES00029\SETUP.EXE" /S Working directory: \\XXX\SMSPKGD$\AES00029\ User context: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

THEN

The program for advertisement "AES20013" completed successfully ("AES00029" - "Lenovo Power Manager"). User context: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Systems Management Server (SMS) determines status for each program it executes. If SMS cannot find or correlate any installation status Management Information Format (MIF) files for the program, it uses the program's exit code to determine status. This program returned an exit code that indicates it completed successfully.

But it isn't installed :(

Can anybody guess what might be wrong?

status update:

I changed my "test advertisement" from "Run Program from distribution point" to "Download content from distribution point and run locally", then the applications got installed.

But this isn't a solution for me :( Then I have to change the advertisement of the OS deployment task to "Download the content from distribution point and run locally", and that runs to slow....

Is there a way to change the package so it can get installed with "run program from distribtuion point"? Change some settings somewhere, so that i can trick it in to working :P

status update:

I changed my "test advertisement" from "Run Program from distribution point" to "Download content from distribution point and run locally", then the applications got installed.

But this isn't a solution for me :( Then I have to change the advertisement of the OS deployment task to "Download the content from distribution point and run locally", and that runs to slow....

Is there a way to change the package so it can get installed with "run program from distribtuion point"? Change some settings somewhere, so that i can trick it in to working :P

Try changing "Drive mode" to "Requires drive letter"

The solution for me was to use command lines in the task.

One Command line that copy (xcopy) the packet from the distribution point to a path on the computer.

Then another command line to run the application(setup.exe /s) from the path where i put the file(c:\drivers\xxx).

Works :):)

Thanks for the help guys :)

Will try to use SCCM with Lenovo Update Retriever later on, that looks like a better solution for "auto updating lenovo drivers and applications".

This looks like an old post, but I have a solution to this that allows you to use your SCCM Package to install the Lenovo software - well, I've tested it successfully with Power Manager, which was my biggest problem,

The command line that your SCCM package needs to run is "SETUP.EXE /S /f2"C:\Support\Logs\PWRMGRV.log"". THEN, in your Task Sequence, PRIOR to your application installation, you need to create a "Run Command Line" task with the following "cmd.exe /c mkdir C:\Support\Logs". What happens is if the application does not have the log file location available, or a lack of permissions to it (by default, without the specified path, I believe it will try and write to your Distribution Point), the application won't install. As soon as I did it this way, I had immediate success. Thanks to my colleague BTW for this one.

As for the other applications that are listed, I have done the Hotkeys one - but this successfully works for me with just "setup.exe /s". Plus the Bluetooth installation works with the BTW.msi file and any silent commands you want to run.

The solution for me was to use command lines in the task.

One Command line that copy (xcopy) the packet from the distribution point to a path on the computer.

Then another command line to run the application(setup.exe /s) from the path where i put the file(c:\drivers\xxx).

Works :):)

Thanks for the help guys :)

Will try to use SCCM with Lenovo Update Retriever later on, that looks like a better solution for "auto updating lenovo drivers and applications".

• Like 1