mike

Secondary MP setup

Question

Question:

Would you all recommend setting up a secondary management point for computers in a different subnet?

I currently have a remote site with a different subnet and want to avoid pushing updates to 100+ computers over the newtork when I just want to do it a management point. Or would creating a secondary CM site work better?

i was hoping to put a seconday MP up at the remote site so those clients can be updated.

Will I need to reconfigure the clients with the secondary MP or will it search for either of the MPs?

SCCM2K7 SP1

WinServer2K8

5 answers to this question

Question:

Would you all recommend setting up a secondary management point for computers in a different subnet?

I currently have a remote site with a different subnet and want to avoid pushing updates to 100+ computers over the newtork when I just want to do it a management point. Or would creating a secondary CM site work better?

i was hoping to put a seconday MP up at the remote site so those clients can be updated.

Will I need to reconfigure the clients with the secondary MP or will it search for either of the MPs?

SCCM2K7 SP1

WinServer2K8

Generally i would not recommend secondary sites. But then i have not worked for a company with really bad network connections ;)

If it´s just a little office i would go with the branch distrubution point (Be sure to make all your DP:s protected so they will only server spesific subnets).

No need to configure the clients. Clients can only be assigned to primary sites.

They will find the the correct site through Active Directory automaticlly (if your schema is extended).

Generally i would not recommend secondary sites. But then i have not worked for a company with really bad network connections ;)

If it´s just a little office i would go with the branch distrubution point (Be sure to make all your DP:s protected so they will only server spesific subnets).

No need to configure the clients. Clients can only be assigned to primary sites.

They will find the the correct site through Active Directory automaticlly (if your schema is extended).

thanks wmmayms, i will try to BDP option. I saw a guide in the forum about it. I will give it a try.

we dont have a bad network, we have about 2000+ local systems and about 200+ are off site and i want to push the updates to them 'locally' instead of coming across the network. i was thinking i could just push it to one local computer and the clients can update locally.

but we do have servers over there that i can make a BDP.

mike

we have about 2000+ local systems and about 200+ are off site

Are all these 200+ systems on the same location? Or are they scattered?

I would recommend if you have more then 100 client at the samt location (assuming you have good connection between sites)

Using a standard distrubution point (all DPs should be protected, and only service the local subnet/subnets).

If you have a location with less then 100 computers i would consider a bransh distrubution Point.

This role can be installed on a standard XP machine which will be much cheaper (though IIS will only allow 10 concurent connections on a XP machine)

It is allso true that BITS is not an option between Client and BDP, instead SMB is used. Though Bits work between Site and BDP.

I would only consider a secondary site if i had poor network links between sites, but thats jsut me :)

What connections do you have between your sites?

Are all these 200+ systems on the same location? Or are they scattered?

I would recommend if you have more then 100 client at the samt location (assuming you have good connection between sites)

Using a standard distrubution point (all DPs should be protected, and only service the local subnet/subnets).

If you have a location with less then 100 computers i would consider a bransh distrubution Point.

This role can be installed on a standard XP machine which will be much cheaper (though IIS will only allow 10 concurent connections on a XP machine)

It is allso true that BITS is not an option between Client and BDP, instead SMB is used. Though Bits work between Site and BDP.

I would only consider a secondary site if i had poor network links between sites, but thats jsut me :)

What connections do you have between your sites?

No, the other site has about 200 systems and growing but are in a different subent than the main location but all in the same domain.

I have setup the secondary site at the other location and the install went well and have the active directory discovery enabled. I wouldnt call it a poor connection, but it could be better. but from you suggestion i went ahead and installed the secondary site to see how it fairs. right now i have some clients managed and some not. Not sure why some are not managed, although I know one system has the client installed but it is not reporting. the secondary site status is good but for the warnings that some clients cannot be found on the network, even though the clients are online.