jbudd0649

Windows update forcing restart

Question

In our environment I have 1 primary site server running the SUP role and 5 DP’s, 1 at each of the buildings connected to our WAN. Originally I was installing updates during business hours. I made sure all of my deployments had the Suppress reboots on Servers and Workstations option selected. I also chose to hide all notifications. I expected that the SCCM clients would install updates and keep on kicking like normal without the user having any idea what is happening. Instead I saw that the updates were being installed but the users were being forced to reboot the PC’s. This is a problem for obvious reasons. I tried to extend the grace period for the reboot in the device settings to 8 hours with a 20 minute timer that couldn’t be closed. This didn’t help any, users still complain about reboots during the day and they HATE the dialogue that can’t be closed. In order to remedy this, I configured a maintenance window from 1:00 AM-4:00 AM. I enabled the send wake up packets on all deployments and also enabled the wake up proxy in the client settings. I tested to make sure that clients would indeed wake to run the deployment. I no longer have users complaining about reboots, however when I look at the compliance on the deployments, they are showing TERRIBLE compliance. Out of 2176 machines only 247 are compliant. I can’t figure out why. My best guess is that during the maintenance window my PC’s are either not waking, or they are out of the building (We have a lot of laptops). Or they are not rebooting for some reason. I would like to go back to installing updates during the day because I know all machines will be in the building and powered on, but I don’t want to make the users unhappy with mandatory reboots.

Is there a way to configure the SCCM client to allow the users more control over the reboots? I would like the client to notify the user that a restart is required, but I don’t want it to force the reboot. I have seen screen caps online of a dialogue that allows the user to “snooze” the restart for a given amount of time, but have never seen it myself or figured out how to turn it on. I have attached images from google to this post. Thanks for any reply's or help.

post-18195-0-49034400-1430762910_thumb.jpgpost-18195-0-37166400-1430762911_thumb.png

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet