Kevin79

Server 2012R2

It is possible to have my primary server be 2008R2 and have distribution points that are server 2012R2?

Does OSD (PXE) work on 2012R2? Are there any gotchas or anything that I need to be aware of?

I run my entire environment on Server 2012 R2.

I never set it up originally with 08 R2 so I can't say for sure if you can run a hybrid environment or not due to versions of things like the windows update agent being different for instance. I'm not sure how that would affect deployments or not. In thinking it over I don't see any issue with it since a DP is strictly just a location based software distribution point with a backend brain. It's no different than having a file server except it has a remote system with a brain allowing it to service the files individually and automatically rather than having to manually install one by one on each machine.

That may not make much sense but that's how I would relate it to. A File server with a backend brain dictating who and what gets the files and when they get them.