Leo

ZTI - SMS OSD

Question

I was thinking this for couple of days and didn't figure it out so far. Even though i am learning ZTI everyday, but sometimes it does not make any sense to me.

I use "standard client task sequence" in MDT and when my install CD loads WinPE, I format the disk drive by bringing command prompt by pressing F8. My TS runs fine with all the application i specify in the Task Sequence.

However, After i get the ZTI completed through SMS with OSD, the imaged PC gets a folder "Minint" in the root of C drive which has all the logs and some exe files. But when i try to re-image the same PC, the TS fails in Post Install phase. However, i noticed that during re imaging it skips initialization, validation, install and directly goes to the Post Install phase. But I want the task sequence to go through atleast the validation phase so that i can format the disk in that phase.

My question is:

How can i make a task sequence with which i can image a PC and re image a PC. But it should always wipe the HD before image or re-image takes place.

7 answers to this question

Thanks for your super quick reply. But when a machine gets imaged once and left with Minint folder, it is not possible to delete this folder from 1000s of PC manually. What i want to achieve here is this, the tech places the CD and leaves to next PC. I am going to write a script and try to delete the Minint folder. But in a large Org. i am curious to know how this is done.

Again, thanks for taking time to answer my question.

delete that minint folder and try again

I found the issue. I was using the /debug:true switch. By removing the switch, i can reimage a pc.

I appreciate for looking into this issue with me.

Regards,

can you verify via the logs left in the minint folder that your actual zti task sequence has completed successfully ?

I have a quick question regarding the re-image. I am using SMS-OSD-ZTI process as described in this site.

I am deploying successfully with the default TS from MDT (no application added or modification to TS) through SMS.

However, Minint folder is not created after successful imaging (/debug:true removed). So when i try to re-image with the same CD, same TS. It goes through the following steps:

1. preinstall

2. install

3. postinstall

however, at post install, it formats the harddrive and restarts with a 10 sec notice. After Restart, of course it is brought back to the screen NTLDR missing "Press ctrl+alt+Del to restart" - which is obvious after formatting because no OS.

i am not expecting this behavior, that formats the drive after laying down the image.

can anyone shed some light in how to achieve the reimaging process with the One TS.

Thanks

MDT - TS i am using "Standard client Task Sequence"

- No application added

- works 100% if press F8 during "initializing win pe" window and formatted the HD

To wipe the disk everytime just add these lines into winbom.ini:

[Factory]

WinBOMType=WinPE

Reseal=No

[WinPE]

Quiet=Yes

Restart=No

[PnPDriverUpdate]

[PnPDrivers]

[NetCards]

[updateInis]

[FactoryRunOnce]

[branding]

[AppPreInstall]

[DiskConfig]

Disk1 = Disk1.Config

[Disk1.Config]

WipeDisk = Yes

Size1 = *

PartitionType1 = Primary

FileSystem1 = NTFS

QuickFormat1 = Yes

SetActive1 = Yes

to remove the MININT folder after the deployment is done, simply added a

SkipFinalSummary=YES

in the customsettings.ini file. The MININT folder is then removed withoutany more intervention on the users part.