blaf

Collection not being updated

Hello,

I am deploying OSD to test computers. Importing device as unknown computers, including MAC address and GUID.

However I am experiencing randomly problems with collection membership not being updated.

For example, I am able to import unknown computer and deploy OSD through Task Sequence.

Than I change Task Sequence steps ( include additional drivers, change AD OU where to add computer name etc. ), delete this device and device collection and try to import same unknown computer.

When I manually run “ update membership ‘’ it doesn’t populate with any device – count 0. Reason why I was deleting this collection is because I could not push again changed Task Sequence. Even though previous deployment is scheduled to expire and deleted.

Therefore I proceed to recreate same collection.

As mentioned above collection and device was deleted. Seems to me it still has record in SQL database in SCCM.

On the other hand, I tried to add completely new unknown computer ( not included before in devices and collections ), this is out-of-the box machine.

It’s not populating when I create device collection, imported unknown computer in devices, created collection and selected update membership – zero count.

In collevall.log no errors neither activities if I am reading properly.

Incremental updates and membership rules are turned off for single unknown computers. I did change it and turn on, nothing updated.

Probably after some time I will be able to update successfully that membership but not sure which cycle runs in background.

Some reference online:

Determine from the Colleval.log file whether the Collection Evaluator was able to run a query against the SMS site database to obtain the latest information about a specific collection. This log file contains a record of SQL Server connectivity problems. The log file also records SQL Server environment issues related to running the query, such as the Tempdb database's running out of space or SQL Server's running out of memory. To determine or adjust SQL Server settings, use the SQL Enterprise Manager.

Verify that changes to update schedules in the SMS Administrator console are written to the SMS site database through the SMS Provider by checking the SMS Provider status messages or enabling and examining the SMSprov.log file.

All Systems and All Unknown Computer membership rules are configured through Query, for single unknown computer which I imported membership rules are configured as - direct…

SCCM Incremental updates are activated for All Systems and All Unknown Computer.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts. I hope I am explaining this clearly.

Thank you

Blaf

Thanks Peter.

Device is already member of limited collection, but I am still experiencing intermittent problems when I am importing unknown computers in SCCM.

I am using only MAC address.

Will work on this.

Thank you for reply.

Blaf