RetromanIE

Restrict users from deleting "Computer" icon on Win7 Desktop

Question

Does anyone know of a way to stop users from being able to delete the "Computer" icon on the Windows 7 desktop?

We found that some users are deleting it, for whatever reason, and then cannot restore it. I can restore it via a quick reg edit, but we would really like to specify that this icon (and only this one) cannot be removed from the desktop.

I know we can lock down the whole desktop icons, but we really only want this single icon to be "set in stone" on the desktop.

Users are restricted and not local admins, but the can still delete this icon!!??

thanks

Edit:

By the way, we would like to resolve this via GPO if possible.

2 answers to this question

You can add the following registry in a GPP and direct at users.
[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]
Name = {20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
Type =REG_DWORD
Value = 0

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

Yes I have that ready just in case we cannot lock down the icon/shortcut. Actually, I found that particular reg doesn't work for me and I have to edit the below instead(but its the same idea).

[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu]
Name = {20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
Type =REG_DWORD
Value = 0
I'd really like to lock down that icon, there must be a way.