bcsdtech

No Client Certificate after R2 Sp1 Upgrade - Failed to Register

HI - Just updated to R2 sp1 from R2.

After the upgrade new clients are saying "Certificate = NONE"

Usually its self-assigned.

Getting this error in StatusAgent.log

Registration failed with error 0x80041010 StatusAgent 6/4/2015 9:20:52 AM 4092 (0x0FFC)

Failed to add event forwarder for CCM_EVENTFORWARDER_CONFIGURATION.INSTANCEID="SMSBRANCHDP.INSTANCE0",NAME="SMSEVENTLOGFORWARDER" StatusAgent 6/4/2015 9:20:52 AM 4092 (0x0FFC)

Also this in CcmRepair.log

Database verification failed with result: 0x80004005 but DB: C:\WINDOWS\CCM\InventoryStore.sdf could be opened, skipping DB repair. CcmRepair 6/4/2015 9:20:51 AM 7204 (0x1C24)

ClientIDManagerStartup.log

[RegTask] - Client registration is pending. Sending confirmation request for GUID:7797D0CB-AB10-46E7-ACA7-A788E6EBC4D2 ... ClientIDManagerStartup 6/4/2015 9:26:56 AM 4092 (0x0FFC)

Any help appreciated. Thank you

Also getting this in SMS_discovery_data_manager

Microsoft SQL Server reported SQL message 8169, severity 16: [42000][8169][Microsoft]

[sql Server]Conversion failed when converting from a character string to uniqueidentifier. : SMSDBMON_ClientKeyData_PfxCertsClientKeyData_Chg_upd

I was having the same error on our server. It looks like Microsoft implemented a new trigger in R2 SP1 that is causing the issue. Using SQL Server Management Studio, I disabled the trigger and now the clients appear to be registering successfully.

Specifically, I went into CM_PSR (our site database) -> Tables -> dbo.ClientKeyData -> Triggers, then right clicked on SMSDBMON_ClientKeyData_PfxCertsClientKeyData_Chg_upd and chose Disable.

If you choose to do this, make sure you reenable the trigger when Microsoft releases the inevitable hotfix that actually corrects the problem...

• Like 1

I was having the same error on our server. It looks like Microsoft implemented a new trigger in R2 SP1 that is causing the issue. Using SQL Server Management Studio, I disabled the trigger and now the clients appear to be registering successfully.

Specifically, I went into CM_PSR (our site database) -> Tables -> dbo.ClientKeyData -> Triggers, then right clicked on SMSDBMON_ClientKeyData_PfxCertsClientKeyData_Chg_upd and chose Disable.

If you choose to do this, make sure you reenable the trigger when Microsoft releases the inevitable hotfix that actually corrects the problem...

Wow. Thank you! That worked!!

1. How did you figure that out?

2. What is that trigger doing?

Thanks again!!! It's been 3 days of frustration.

1. I'm a developer, so I am familiar enough with SQL and its errors to try to figure out what's going on.

2. Basically, whenever the ClientKeyData table is updated (when a client registers with a new certificate in our case) the trigger takes some of the updated data and throws it into the "TableChangeNotifications" table. Not doing this insert probably breaks some sort of post-processing routine somewhere, but I haven't noticed any issues since I disabled the trigger yesterday. The trigger didn't exist in 2012 R2 without SP. In our environment, the potential risk of this missing post-processing is lower than a complete breakage of our build procedure, especially coming up to summer break when we'll be building and rebuilding hundreds of machines.